Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating child pages in confluence cloud

shailesh030 February 1, 2018

The link Create child pages

says that when I click on + on left sidebar to create a page then new page will be created under the page I am currently on. But when I try that the new page is created under the page which is parent to the page I am currently on. 

To clarify I have attached a screenshot

I have three 4 levels of pages

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

My assumption based on the article was that in order to create Page 4 under Page 3, I should be on "Page 2" and then click on + .  But when I do that, Page 4 is being created under Page 2 instead of Page 3. 

Is my understanding of the documentation incorrect or is this another bug in the new UI?

If this is by design, is there any other way to create page4 under page3 without having to reorder while on page3 or after publishing page3

Child page.png

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 6, 2018

Shailesh,

The documentation says the following:

• Parent page: Your new page will be a child of the page you were on when you hit .

Therefore, if you are on Page 2, and you create a page, it will be a Child of Page 2. If you want to create a Child of Page 3, then you need to be on Page 3.

I've tested this, and it does appear to work properly.

Can you let me know what part of the documentation exactly was unclear and I can have it corrected for you?

Regards,

Shannon

shailesh030 February 6, 2018

Hi Shannon,

I tested it just now and seems like it is working correctly but I remember when I had posted the question the child page 3 was not getting created under Page 2.

Perhaps the confusion may also be arising from the fact that when you click on + , the page number shown on top half refers to Parent -1 .

In the attached screen shot, I was creating page7 under page6 but as you can notice the top half of the page shows page5. Not sure if there is a specific reason for this, but I was expecting to see Page6.

Also another feedback is that from my experience having two ways to create a page (A + on the sidebar and "create page" on "Pages" menu) and both with different outcome can be confusing for first time users especially those migrating from confluence-server 

edition

Another Page6.png.jpg

Another Page7.png.jpg

Like # people like this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 7, 2018

Hi Shailesh,

The part at the top is the page tree, so the name of the page you're seeing should reflect the direct parent of the page. This is the reason you're seeing a different page name at the top than the one you are currently on.

I hope that clarifies things but do let me know if you have any doubts.

Regards,

Shannon

Like Upendra Joshi likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events