Creating a folder?

How does one create a folder in Confluece?

4 answers

Folders you say? Well, look no further! Confluence makes it easy to leverage this most basic feature of computing that has been in existence since before the assembly language in ONLY 5-7 easy steps!

1. make sure your pages are in the hierarchy you want them:

1a. Navigate into the space you want to act as a file system and select the menu

SpaceMenuButton.PNG1b.

ViewInHiearchyPNG.PNG

1c. Click and drag these into the structure you want:

click-drag-these.PNG

2.  Use the instructions in the link below to add child-lists to your "Folder" documents so that you can view their child-"contents" with one click:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/children-display-macro-139501.html

...and TA DA, just like that the MIND BENDING power of folders is yours to harness and direct at your most complex tasks thanks to forward-thinking at Confluence!

That's not "folders", it's just one way of using the natural structures within Confluence.  The nature of Confluence data tends to make folders a redundant concept, but you can mimic them if you want.  It's not that useful in Confluence, but it doesn't stop you.

"The Nature of Confluence data tends to make folders a redundant concept" 

Could you please expand on that? I would love to know how this post-folder world works and leverage its powers of efficiency.

Like 1 person likes this

Folders work for structured classifications like file systems.  Confluence is a wiki, not a file system.  It's not like sharepoint where documents go to die, it's supposed to be a living collaborative space where the structure is more usefully classified by content than location. 

I was wondering what the format was. I've used wiki's before and I didn't even realize that's what this was (Only been using confluence for a week.)

However, as we may think the kool-aid is the best drink we ever tasted and evangelize on anyone who wishes for a sip of water - I'd like to put forth that, in a situation in which someone is specifically asking for water, that giving them a cup is probably the best idea.

Take my case for example, I DO just want some documents to die, but, I would also like them to be in existence, accessible, and within the same silo as my other documentation in case of the worst. I am just a nice guy like that. Hence, the need for a folder every now and then.

Like 1 person likes this

Anytime some open source software doesn't do something, the true believers turn that from a bug into a feature.  

Re: 1. make sure your pages are in the hierarchy you want them:

But they're not.  How do I create a new entry in the hierarchy? 

And what is "hierarchy" here?  A hierarchy of "spaces"?

Like 1 person likes this

Ah, you create a new space, then click on ... in the upper right, the "move".   Hmm, but I can't seem to move the new space to under my Confluence home page.    I think I'll just use Notepad.

I don't think you've grasped what the software does.

There is a hierarchy, which makes "folders" redundant (at best, a primitive way of thinking).  Go to a page anywhere (let's call it page A), hit "create page", put something in it and save it as Page B.  You now have page B in the hierarchy under Page A.  You can move it within the space in the space's tree under tools, or move it and give it a new page, or even space.

Re:  I don't think you've grasped what the software does.

I've used a lot of software over many years.  In design reviews, when developers blame the users, experienced managers will usually ask if the UI could be made more intuitive.

Re: create new page B under existing page A

Ah, so I need to create a dummy page to hold subpages, because there's no concept of a directory entry.   Got it. 

Like 1 person likes this

Correct, because you don't need one.

Most people grasp that intuitively when introduced to Confluence.  It's not a developer blaming the user, it's another user pointing out that you've misunderstood something.

Just create and empty page with no content. Then add child pages to that page.

This works until you have to add two folders somewhere with the same name.

Like 2 people like this

I do not see a button or a menu item "add a child page" on my page.

Go to the page you want to create a child of.  Click "create".  The default place for the new page is under the page you were looking at.

1 vote

You don't create a folder in Confluence because that is not how Confluence works. You create spaces and pages inside spaces. Or did I misunderstand the question?

And you create subpages under pages.

Perhaps you're referring to create groups for such users. Can you polease clarify about create a folder in Confluence?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Oct 24, 2018 in Confluence

Atlassian Research opportunity with Confluence templates

Do you use templates with Confluence? Take part in a remote 1-hr workshop. You'll receive USD $100 for your time!   We're looking for people to participate in a   remote 1-hr workshop...

1,127 views 17 14
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you