Creating User Story and Tasks in Tandem with Confiforms IFTTT Macro

Jason Walsh February 3, 2021

Likely an easy fix but I can't seem to find documentation explaining how to do this. 

Essentially I can create An IFTTT macro creating a JIRA ticket as an "Epic" and subsequently create a "Story" using the JIRA key created from the "Epic" as the field value for the custom data field tied to "Epic Link".

I can do the same thing to create a "Story" and then create a sub-task using the JIRA key value for the "parent" value in my JSON script.

What I can't seem to figure out is how to create a "Story" and then create a "Task" that is tied to that story automatically in a separate IFTTT macro following the Story created IFTTT macro. 

Can this be done? Is there a property like "parent" I can use to link the JIRA key to?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2021

Hi

This is really a question about Atlassian Jira REST API and how to create a task as a sub-task for the story.

ConfiForms here is just a "worker"...

Alex

PS, I have found this https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Answers-Developer-Questions/How-to-Create-Subtask-using-Rest-API/qaq-p/508166  might help...

Jason Walsh February 3, 2021

How could I have missed this link? As per usual you have the answers. I got it working off of this URL, thanks Alex!

Prabhakaran_Sundaram July 28, 2022

can someone share the sample Json script to create EPIC and predecessor stories and subcategories on one click

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2022

Hi

Look at this tutorial and start setting up rules to create Jira issues (mapping is specific to your project, but the mentioned url shall help you to get started)

Then the first one is ready, write back the issue key created for your epic back to ConfiForms (we have bunch of examples demonstrating this concept in our wiki), then add more ConfiForms IFTTT rules to create "subcategories", setting the epic link to the issue key you have created in the first step

Alex

Prabhakar S October 11, 2022

Hi Alex/Walsh,

Thanks for the response .. I can able to create epic , email trigger and also confluence page but if I tried to add issues story and sub task within the same script which should create epic, story and subtask on one click, I have difficulties on giving the field value summary , description etc since it’s already defined for epic.. can you share some example script which will create epic and story in one click so I will develop from there.

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 11, 2022

What is the current blocker you are having and what you currently have? 

Not sure what "example script" are you asking about

Prabhakar S October 12, 2022

No Format
{

"fields": {

"project":

{

"key": "{entry.projectkey.escapeJSON}"

},

"summary": "{entry.summary.escapeJSON}"

"description": "{entry.summary.escapeJSON}"

"customfield_10743": "[entry.customfield.escapeJSON]",

"issuetype": {

"name": "Epic"

}

}

}

=========================

The above script is able to create only the epic when clicking the form. But i required one more issue task also to be create along with the epic  with example script so i will completed my below requirement.

My Requirement:-

JIRA ticket as an "Epic" and subsequently create a "Story" using the JIRA key created from the "Epic" as the field value for the custom data field tied to "Epic Link".

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 12, 2022

Do you have a mapping for Story?

That should be in a different IFTTT that will be executed/placed after the one that you have

Alex

Prabhakar S October 13, 2022

Is there any possibility on clicking on form will simultaneously created epic , story in one go and if that possible as you mentioned to create different IFTTT ,do we required to provide field value again as like for epic created ? Since for page creation we are calling the jira key as reference but not sure for story creation..

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 13, 2022

Of course it is possible to create more than one Jira issue on one form submit

But you need to have a separate IFTTT rule (an IFTTT per create). Have you added an IFTTT to create a story? 

Alex

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events