Creating Icon/text page menus in Confluence.

David Galloway September 13, 2018

This is a simple question, but I can't find the right terminology and I'm stuck. 

I want to design a basic text-over-image menu for pages on my Confluence Server 6.1.4 instance. I suppose it's possible to do by adding three column sections with a single text link and image on each row of the column, but that doesn't seem like a best practice and will lead to trouble down the road. 

Here's a screenshot of the type of layout I want: 

https://i.imgur.com/stv5nKo.png

Can anyone please advise the proper search/macro name for that type of organizational element? Thank you. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sattesh M
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 14, 2018

Hello David, 

You should be able to add more sections to Confluence, and then change the section to multiple columns instead, like below.

Sections.PNG 

As per the screenshot above, 

1. Click on the Page layout icon.
  2. Add a new section, or 3.
  3. Change the section type a a 3 column section.

Now each section and column will have it's own styling, so you can add text into them and align them individually, and then add pictures as well as needed.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Sattesh 

David Galloway September 14, 2018

Thanks Sattesh for the quick reply! 

I stumbled into that strategy earlier this morning, it worked, but the spacing felt off and I couldn't put a sidebar. I then found a Confluence page created by another department that had the type of layout I was looking for, and luckily enough I have admin rights there too, so I discovered they did it by using the Section and Column macros. 

Here's how I currently have it configured: 

And here is how that looks when previewed: 

I still have plenty to do, but now I've solved the current issue. Thank you for taking the time to provide an answer with screenshots! 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events