Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Created a nested task list

Grant Allen May 21, 2021

Let's say I have 3 pages: A, B, and C.

A depends on Page B.

B depends on Page C.

On Page B I can define a task report that includes tasks from Page C, that's pretty basic.

On Page A I would like to define a task report and tell it to include action items from Page B and because B has a dependency on C, it would automatically know to include action items from page C.

Things I've tried:
- On page B "Include Page: C". Now both B's action items and C's action items are visible on page B, but when I create a task report on A that points at B, I only see B's action items.

- I cannot make C a child of B, and B a child of A. This structure would break as soon as I need page D to also depend on C (can't have two parents for 1 child).

Having to manually define page A's task report as dependent on both B and C, and then also having to define page B as being dependent on C creates a redundancy problem and becomes very difficult to keep every page updated when things change.

Am I missing any way to do nested task lists?

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 24, 2021

Hello Grant and welcome to the Community!

It sounds like you're hitting the limitations of scaling Confluence tasks, base on your example above. Normally, this leads folks to start using Jira to create issues to more easily track the progress of their tasks (issues) and have a simplified way of reporting on tasks (issues) between pages and reports.

This may be an opportune time to review Jira (We offer free plans) as part of your task management. Some articles we would suggest reviewing to help on your discovery of scale are:

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events