Create user without password

I had a trial instance of confluence+Jira and one feature I really liked was that I could create a new user and the system would email them with a link to reset their password.

We have now set up a confluence only instance and it looks like I must enter the password for every user I create. This is a bit more cumbersome and leaves me with only two real options:

1. Have every team member come to my desk and type in their password.
  2. Send accounts out with a default password and make everybody change it, and hope they do.

I don't really like either of those options. Is there a way to make confluence only act more like the jira installation where I can just enter a username and email, and it will notify them and make them set a password immediately?

1 answer

In Confluence 4.2 you can invite users sending them a registration URL. Would that solve the problem?

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Adding+Users

Cheers Christian

Inviting people to sign up via a URL

You can invite new users to the site by sending them a signup URL. This option is available in both public and private signup modes. When someone visits the URL in a browser, a Confluence signup screen will appear.

To invite people to sign up:

1. Click Add Users on the dashboard.
    Or take the longer route: Choose Browse > Confluence Admin. Click Users > Add User.
  2. Copy the Invitation URL and paste it into an email message, or onto a page on your extranet

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

346 views 20 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you