Create template which creates page directly in parent-page

Philippe Desorgues June 22, 2018

Dear community,

I am trying to create a template in Confluence, which upon creation of the page by a user, would automatically be created in the correct parent page. This template would be accessible in the main menu for page creation, but when a user create this template, it would be automatically created in the correct sub-page.

Is there a Macro which enables this? I have tried the "create from template macro" but it does not seem to have the functionality required. The "space-ID" level in this macro is too high for what I am trying to do, I want to link to sub-pages within this space.

Thanks,
Philippe

3 answers

1 vote
Robert Reiner _smartics_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 24, 2018

First option

The commerical projectdoc Toolbox for  Confluence Server allows to define a homepage for pages for a given doctype. A doctype is a page blueprint with some extras (a standard page blueprint or user template would not work). A doctype provides such a homepage by default (this is similar to the index page). If the default homepage does not meet your requirements, the homepage can be selected per space by the use of a space property.

The tip Specify Doctype Homepage shows how this feature works.

Please note that I am an author of the projectdoc Toolbox (which is available on the Atlassian Marketplace), so my views are certainly biased ... :)

Second option

This does not meet the requirement you have described, but if the location of the page is less important than the option to find a page from a well-known page, then maybe the index page of a page blueprint would work for your use case?

The first time a blueprint template is used in a space, Confluence creates an index page and adds a shortcut to your sidebar. The index displays a list of pages made with the template, and selected information from your template pages.

Blueprints and User Created Templates

The index page can customized. So if it is only relevant that there is a page that lists all pages of a given kind, then this would be the easier option (no third-party add-on required). 

0 votes
EPS Software Engineering AG
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2019

Hi Philippe,

You could use our Space and Page Tree Creator App for Confluence. The two apps provide exactly the functionality your are looking for.

You can find the apps on Marketplace and there is also a link to our examples, where you can test the apps easy and fast.

Regards,
Stephan (CEO of EPS Software Engineering AG, the vendor of the apps)

0 votes
Victor Mutambuki [Mumo Systems]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 22, 2018

Philippe,

You can create a template in your space that you can use to create pages.

Look more about the two categories of page templates.

Victor

Philippe Desorgues June 25, 2018

Hello Victor,

Thanks for your response. I know how to create a template but I don"t know how to link this template to a sub-page upon creation.

The page you suggest does not provide this explanation I believe....

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 25, 2018

Philippe,

The template that you create, do you want it to be a global one or specifically a space template?

Victor

Hello victor,

I want it to be created in a specific parent page automatically, as the users will not know in which parent-page this template has to go.

Thanks for your help!

Philippe

And i mean parent page not space, as in my space I have multiple parent-pages, but the users do not know in which parent page the template has to be classified.

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 25, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 8.15.08 AM.png

Phillipe,

In that case, add the template to the space. Please see attached image.

Victor

Yes thank you. But how can I add this template automatically to a sub-page within this space?

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 25, 2018

Philippe,

Do you mean a child page or parent page? I'm not familiar with a sub-page.

Victor

I mean create a child page automatically within a parent page!

Thanks,
Philippe

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 25, 2018

Philippe,

I don't know if you can do so automatically. Why not create a child page under the parent page that you intend to? Why create child pages automatically

Victor

he problem is that in our space we have many parent pages, so the people are not sure in which parent page the templates should go upon creation....

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 25, 2018

Philippe,

As far as i know, if you have a space template, it can be used in it. However, i do not know of a way a space template can be used to create child pages automatically. 

Victor

Philippe Desorgues June 26, 2018

Ok thanks Victor it is what I thought. I will have to find a different way then.

Philippe

Peter_Baschan March 19, 2019

Hi @Philippe Desorgues 

There is a way to do this. Using this method you can add a link to any page and specify exactly where you want your new page created.

1. Create the template you want users to use to create a new page.

2. On the content tools/template page copy the URL of this link to a notepad and note down the pageId

3. Locate and open the parent page where you want your users to create child pages/

4.  Right click and select 'View page source'

5.  Locate and note down the pageId (it should be around line 49).

6. In a notepad create a URL using this syntax: https://yourConfluenceAddress/pages/createpage-entervariables.action?templateId=XXXXXXX&spaceKey=YYYY&newSpaceKey=YYYY&fromPageId=ZZZZZZZZ

• where 'yourConfluenceAddress' = the URL to your system
  • templateId = the noted templateId
  • spaceKey = the space you are in (again you can take it from your browser URL)
  • newSpaceKey = the same space as you are in
  • fromPageId = the noted parent's page Id

7. You can add this URL as a link to any of the pages within your space and it will create the child page under the pre-defined parent. Perfect for a home page with instruction for example.  

Like # people like this
Adam Bartlett October 29, 2019

Really useful. Thanks Peter.

Hanneke Kaashoek May 6, 2020

Hi, 

I'm using the create from template macro on the overview page of a space. I would like to use this URL mentioned by Peter Baschan to make sure the created pages will be created under the pre-defined parent page. Where do I mention this URL exactly? Thank you in advance!

Peter_Baschan May 6, 2020

Hi.

For the URL above you don't have to use the Create from template macro. Once you constructed the URL you can add it as a standard link object anywhere on the page (there is a link icon within your toolbar or navigate to the place where you want your link and press CRTL+K).

I hope that helps.

Peter

Hanneke Kaashoek May 6, 2020

Yes, that helps! Thank you.

Unfortunately I created a 'dead link'... I took the pageID from the URL, instead of the page source information because in the page source there is nowhere an ID mentioned?

It is quite unfortunate that you can't just select the parent page when editing the create from template macro. That would fix this entire problem :) 

Hanneke

Stephanie Willis May 29, 2020

I'm having the same issue as @Hanneke Kaashoek - using the new page editor, the source does not show the PageID anywhere. I tried taking it from the URL and it doesn't work. 

Like Hanneke Kaashoek likes this
Matt C_ Wilson October 2, 2021

A recent exploit has targeted the createpage-entervariables.action endpoint, which means it may be blocked or not working for you.

Here is an alternative workaround, but it does not pre-select the template.

1. Go to the desired target parent page.
2. Copy the URL and tack ?createBlankFabricPage=true onto the end.

Scott Beeson
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 27, 2022

It appears this URL hack no longer works. Also, it doesn't work if you try to include variables like @currentDate, etc.

Like Micheline Mendoza likes this
Micheline Mendoza May 22, 2023

Yes it seems this URL hack does not work anymore.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events