Create multiple pages with the same name within a space.

Andrew Lackey August 3, 2015

I'm having an issue where one of the spaces is dedicated to coming up with project ideas and every project page would have a sub page about funding plan. If I want every page to have a funding plan, is there some way to override confluences' requirement of no duplicate page names within a space?

3 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

3 votes
Steffen Heller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2015
2 votes
TomC
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2015

Hi Andrew,

Not that I know of, but there's at least one practical reason I can think of why it's generally good not to have multiple pages with the same name - search. If it was allowed and one typed in 'funding plan' in the search box, and the user received multiple hits, which one would they click. Any way why you wouldn't want to add the project idea name after the prefix 'Funding Plan-' or some other standard naming convention you choose to adopt?

I'll also be interested if there are other answers to your question.

Jonathan Simonoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2015

That is a good point -- it also applies unfortunately to pages in different spaces, which can have the same name. You need to check the URL to see the space for each page with a certain name.

Like Matthew Read likes this
Jonathan Simonoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 3, 2015

Andrew: Think of a "space" as a "namespace". It is like a file system directory.

Cezariusz Marek February 17, 2017

Just show the parent page name (or path) in the search results (as you currently show the space name) and the problem is solved.

Like # people like this
Billie Lynn Ross January 12, 2018

Templates for project development are a standard. The fact that this product does not allow any page to have the same name means you can't properly structure a document archive. Its a childish mannerism and a mind of a micro-manager who most likely implemented this. This product fails so badly in document retention structure that I will never recommend it. Give you an idea.. We have a standard deployment documentation process in which we need to follow. Following a standard makes it easy for everyone to be in sync and on the same page.

Example:

DeploymentDocument > Product  > Year > Document (unique name based on a template)

This simple efficient organization structure is taught in many different ways through out every persons schooling starting in Primary school. Having to add additional characters to make every link unique is a waste of time and money and an impact to work flows, which to many people these days don't even know what an efficient work flow actually is.

The Confluence Wiki has its uses, but being used as a document repository it is not and any Atlassian sales person who pushes it for use as a large document repository is a liar, a cheat and a theif for stealing peoples Time, money, and work flows!

Like # people like this
0 votes
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 3, 2015

In wiki, it's a general rule that within the same namespace the same name is not allowed twice.

The Scroll Versions plugin offers a work-around for this!

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events