Create macro via REST API

Oleksandr Rudak November 6, 2019

Hi Viktor,

I have a very similar needs: I need to automatically generate HTML content and PUT it to the Confluence page.

My particular page should contain an "Expand" macro. I tried to copy HTML block containing it from another page and then modify and PUT it to Confluence, but got a view like this:

image.png

As you can see - macro doesn't work.

When I looked deeply in HTML code - I saw that each <div> tag containing macro looks like follows:

<div class="content-wrapper">
<div id="expander-2068011896" class="expand-container conf-macro output-block" data-hasbody="true" data-macro-name="expand" data-macro-id="c58eaef6-decc-453b-b27c-4807ca9e9950">
<div id="expander-control-2068011896" class="expand-control"><span class="expand-control-iconicon"> </span><span            class="expand-control-text">Click here to expand...</span></div>

</div>

There are some attributes like:

• id="expander-2068011896"
  • id="expander-control-2068011896"

Maybe the problem is that this ID's generating dynamically by backend once you publishing Confluence page throw web-browser, and works only in particular Confluence page? Just a suggestion...

However, the main question: how can I create HTML code containing Confluence macro, so that the macro will work properly in web-browser, after publishing it by REST API?

@Stephen Sifers, please share your suggestions.

It will be very appreciated!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Sven Schatter _Lively Apps_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 6, 2019

Confluence doesn't use HTML but it's own version of XHTML as its storage format. When you view a page that storage format will be transformed into HTML. As you've already experienced trying to store that view HTML won't work. To create a expand macro you'll want to use the following storage format:

<ac:structured-macro ac:name="expand" ac:schema-version="1">
<ac:rich-text-body> <p>expandable content goes here</p>
</ac:rich-text-body>
</ac:structured-macro>
Oleksandr Rudak November 8, 2019

That was really unexpected information! Thanks @Sven Schatter _Lively Apps_ for support, it works now!

Pres June 29, 2023

@Oleksandr Rudak how can one create or know a macro id of a specific macro ? 

Like Tyler Seader likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events