Create an API token for a self-hosted Confluence installation?

Michael Woffenden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2018

Regarding creating an API token, is there any way to create an API token for a self-hosted (server) Confluence installation?

The need is to connect Zapier to Confluence, which requires this.

Zapier's documention states: "Confluence Cloud and Server 5.5+ are supported."

2 answers

3 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 24, 2018

Hi Michael,

Generating a token is only supported in the Cloud API.

Using Server you will need to authenticate. Have a look at Confluence Server REST API for more details.

Regards,

Shannon

Michael Woffenden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2018

Thanks Shannon - But I do not see any information about authenticating on the link you sent.  Where might I see those details?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 25, 2018

Hi Michael, 

REST API Examples on the left-hand side does show some examples, but have a look here as well:

You can authenticate yourself for the REST APIs in two ways:

• Log in to Confluence manually. You will then be authenticated for the REST APIs for that same browser session.
  • Use HTTP basic authentication (Authorization HTTP header) containing ‘Basic username:password’. Please note however, username:password must be base64 encoded. The URL must also contain the ‘os_authType=basic’ query parameter.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Shannon

Gunnarsson Johan _2_ September 5, 2023

Five years later, this summer our username+password authentication stopped working, we have an on-prem installation of Atlassian Confluence, and found this article:

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/confluence/deprecation-notice-basic-auth/

I understand this as we would not be affected??? Still we cannot authenticate anymore with either user+password or with user+accesstoken and all the required magic wand stuff. 

Which APIs and methods will be restricted?

For the following APIs and pages, all requests using basic authentication with a non-API token credential will return 401 (Unauthorized) after the deprecation period:

• Confluence Cloud public REST API
  • All Confluence Cloud web pages

How are we supposed to mainatain our REST API integrations? 

Like # people like this
0 votes
Christian Reichert (resolution)
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 7, 2020

Hi Michael,

this may be too old now for you to benefit - however it may still be worth for someone who stumbles across this topic.

We have released a 3rd party App that implements the API Token Concept in Confluence & Jira.

It's available for both Server & Data-Center. It also has some additional security features (blocking normal basic auth, IP address restrictions, etc) that some people may find interesting.

Cheers,
Chris

P.S. Full disclosure, I work for resolution, a marketplace vendor.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events