Create a floating TOC for Confluence Cloud

Dipam Pala
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 23, 2020

Hi,

I'm looking to create a floating table of contents for Confluence Cloud and was wondering if anyone's had any luck? 

I can see previous questions and all solutions are for Server based install. 

There are no Add-On's yet for Cloud for this either. 

There is a TOC Macro which i've implemented, and there is a CSS section, and was wondering if I could use this section to enable it to be floating so when users scroll, the table scrolls with it. 

Any help or insight would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

DP

3 answers

0 votes
Michael Yang - Shinetech Software
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 11, 2022

@Dipam Pala We've release the cloud version of our floating table contents plugin. You can try if you were interested in. Not only the table of contents we provide more like allowing to add related links/pages in the floating sidebar.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1221271/easy-heading-macro-floating-table-of-contents?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

0 votes
Ryan Wise
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 19, 2021

@Dipam Pala I believe the HTML and CSS macros inject their content into an iFrame. That's going to potentially create some limitations on what you're looking to do. 

0 votes
Hazwan Ariffin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2020

Not possible in Confluence Cloud. To do this you would need a custom HTML and CSS feature.

CSS:

.fixedPosition {
 position: fixed;
}

HTML

<script type="text/javascript">AJS.toInit(function(){
 AJS.$('.fixedPosition').each(function(){
  var clone = AJS.$(this).clone().css('visibility','hidden').removeClass('fixedPosition');
  AJS.$(this).after(clone);
 });
});</script>

but unfortunately, in Confluence cloud, there's no custom HTML and CSS feature. 

Dipam Pala
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 24, 2020

Thanks Hazwan, 

Appreciate the feedback. I believe there's add-ons to have CSS an HTML features for Cloud, so will trial and test.

Thanks once again. 

Like Brad likes this
Shama Bhosale
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 13, 2021

@Hazwan Ariffin are you able to create floating TOC in the Cloud version?

If yes, could you please share detailed steps here?

Like # people like this
Paul May 6, 2021

I also want to understand if this possible on Confluence cloud 

Like Sven Larson likes this
Charlie Graham
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 14, 2021

A floating table of contents on the right-hand-side of each page would be amazing. Did anyone find a way to do this?

Brad July 27, 2021

@Dipam Pala please reply back with an update

Emiliano Nicolas Romero September 28, 2021

Was there an update on this topic?

Dom
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 6, 2021

Yeah, likewise - we'd love to have this feature for our docs / know of the workaround...

David
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 11, 2022

Likewise, keen to get this feature on our pages.  Has there been any update on this item?

isaiah berg March 25, 2022

Any updates on this? I have been searching for a solution here. Ideally, every page would have *both* a floating table of contents (like Google Docs have in the sidebar!) that could be expanded / hidden to help navigate large pages. 

Also, while I'm at it, can we make the Edit button floating? Always a pain to work on something and have to scroll to the top of the page, then enter the Edit workflow, then scroll back down to the spot where I need to make a change... (note: I normally use keyboard shortcut "E" to edit, but these small touches make Confluence so much more approachable for new users...)

Like # people like this
Daniel Bean June 7, 2022

Bump

Trudy Claspill July 28, 2022

<deleted>

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2022

I have found there is a feature request in Atlassian's backlog for this:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-72545

Like @Dipam Pala I also found a few add-ons that indicate they can be used to add custom HTML, CSS, and Javascript. I have not yet gotten through experimentation to see if the floating content can be generated with these. Here are a couple:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1221470/html-macro-themes-for-confluence-cloud?tab=overview&hosting=cloud

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1221472/html-macro-for-confluence?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events