Create Template with Multiple Child Pages

Eric Lee March 9, 2022

Hi Atlassian Community,

I'd like to create a template consisting of a parent page with several child pages.  When someone uses the template, I want it to automatically create all the pages (parent and children).

Is this possible out of the box?  If so, can you please share your ideas? 

Thanks in advance

Eric

13 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2022

@Eric Lee 

Confluence templates are for a single page only and child pages would need to be created manually after the parent is created.  I know that there are a number of apps that help with that. Page Tree Creator Pro is one that comes to mind.

Eric Lee March 10, 2022

Thank you Brant, much appreciated.

Like Brant Schroeder likes this
9 votes
Sam Lucas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 27, 2022

@Eric Lee I am a new PM for Confluence Templates! Your post here caught my attention as something that might be valuable for many confluence users! Would you be open to scheduling a quick zoom call with me to discuss your need for Parent/child templates and your specific uses cases? I'd really appreciate learning about your workflow here and needs. Thanks! 

Lynne Ratcliffe January 3, 2023

Hi Sam, jumping in here.  My use case would be from a project point of view.

Within our APMO space, I'd like to be able to quickly create a group of templated pages when we are setting up a new project.

Under an In flight projects page for each project create a set of pages.

Screenshot 2023-01-03 at 10.02.33.png

Like # people like this
I_A March 3, 2023

Hey Sam,

I am also looking for this feature. Do you have an idea if or when it will be available ?

Best regards

Like # people like this
Richard Tovell March 27, 2023

I'm also keen to see a feature like this, almost identical to what Lynne suggests as a structure above. The fact that there's no option to select multiple pages and copy them as a group (parent and children) means it's a really convoluted process to try and build out and implement a template structure. The system's limitations mean that people often just do their own thing, which isn't beneficial for any kind of process management. 

The fact we also have to pay for additional apps to constantly help overcome the system's shortcomings is a bit frustrating as well. 

Like # people like this
Paul Dow April 3, 2023

I am also looking to create a Template page with child pages—something like this.

*Primary Code Release Informational Page*
     Version x.xSPxPx
          <excerpt and page content of Maintence Version Page>
          <excerpt and page content of Documentation Page>
          <excerpt and page content of Feature 1 Page>
          <excerpt and page content of Feature 2 Page>
          <excerpt and page content of Feature 3 Page>
          <excerpt and page content of Feature 4 Page>

*Child Page for Maintenance Version*
     x.xSPxPx Maintenance Version
          <excerpt>
          <file upload>
*Child Page for Documentation*
     x.xSPxPx Documentation
          <excerpt>
          <file upload>
*Child Page for Feature 1*
     x.xSPxPx Feature 1
          <excerpt>
          <file upload>
*Child Page for Feature 2*
     x.xSPxPx Feature 2
          <excerpt>
          <file upload>
*Child Page for Feature 3*
     x.xSPxPx Feature 3
          <excerpt>
          <file upload>
*Child Page for Feature 4*
     x.xSPxPx Feature 4
          <excerpt>
          <file upload>

Like Karin Kriebisch likes this
4 votes
Melvin Bleeker March 31, 2023

I'm creating a knowledge base and would like to create a template with a parent and child structure like this:

Parent page:

• general information
  • /include page forwards to child pages

Child pages

• proces information
  • macro information
  • related to pages

Would be very nice to be able to this set up in one template.

0 votes
Steve Melzer May 4, 2024

And another upvote!

0 votes
Hyrum Smith
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 18, 2024

Another upvote for this feature Please!

We need this feature pretty bad

@Sam Lucas 

0 votes
Sander Kok
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 1, 2024

+1 - we still need this!

0 votes
Liz Burns November 29, 2023

First a very hopeful response from @Sam Lucas and then a profound silence afterwards. How about an update? 

0 votes
Paul Bosse
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 5, 2023

Another vote for this feature

0 votes
Jacyline Gerson September 12, 2023

Also, interested in this feature. Any updates?

0 votes
Jason Goodall
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 6, 2023

We are migrating to Cloud confluence and from service and it would be hugely beneficial to have this out of the box capability of creating a Global Template with child pages but also a Wiki Space (Blueprint).

For those with this issue the way i have worked around it currently is by creating a page template for each of the child pages and then within the parent having a series of buttons that will allow a page to be created from the created templates. Once the pages are created the buttons can be removed from the parent page.

It is not the cleanest of slickest solution but as we need to created many spaces I cannot be bothered to do this all manually and so hashed this idea.

John Haddock July 6, 2023

Sounds like a useful workaround - I'm pretty new to Confluence - is it easy enough to set up a button to create a child page from a template?

Melvin Bleeker July 6, 2023

Sounds like an interesting workaround indeed, I will definitely try this out when I have the time.

Thanks @Jason Goodall !

Jason Goodall
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 6, 2023

Hi Guys,

When you create your Parent page template you can insert a button and the option is 'Create From Template' you'll basically give the button a name but also choose a page template which the button actions.

Below is the option you select

image.png

This is how they look when editor the wiki\confluence page

image.png

This is how it looks when viewing the page, as I say once the pages are created you can remove the buttons but that is down to your built in processes.

image.png

Hopefully it is of some benefit and really is a fiddly way to workaround some basic functionality which I think should be provided in confluence.

Like # people like this
John Haddock July 6, 2023

Thanks @Jason Goodall ! As you say, a bit fiddly, but a good workaround :-)

George Pomar May 2, 2024

Here I come drudging up old threads [evil laugh], but I think a good addition to this strategy, which could include a handful or more buttons, would be to house the buttons in an Expand.  So at the top (or bottom, to deprioritize the panel) of the parent page is a bank of additional buttons so the user could select from a menu of templates that cold compile to small or large projects.

0 votes
John Haddock June 7, 2023

Keen on this feature too - any news if it's to be added to the backlog @Sam Lucas

0 votes
Kevin Brooks
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 23, 2023

Another Upvote for this as well seems like an essential feature set for such a robust tool. 

0 votes
Melissa VanKempen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 2, 2023

Another upvote for this to be a feature within Confluence.
Doesn't seem like a third party app would be needed for this. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events