Create Link to document on another page

Jeannine Hooper-Yan December 6, 2019

We have a policy of loading a document once (generally to a file list page) and think linking to that document for any other page that needs it.  This insures we have a single version and it prevents space being taken up with duplicates.  As an example - we frequently attach a spec document to test result pages to provide a quick/easy reference.

Now that I'm in the new interface, I can't figure out how to link to a file loaded on another page.  

• The Link option only gives me pages to link.
  • The file option only lets me upload new files or link to a file share

How can I setup a link on 1 page that connects to a file attached to a different page?

2 answers

0 votes
Dan Santoni October 31, 2022

FWIW on this ancient thread, but I had this question today.  So the workaround I went with was to search for the file attachment.  Then in the  search reslts you can right click and copy the url use that as a link to the document on another page.

The resulting search link will have a searchid on the end which can be removed.  

0 votes
Sharon Helms
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2019

Hi @Jeannine Hooper-Yan , Unfortunately this ability is no longer available in the new Confluence editor, and there are no plans to bring it back.

There are many people who have used the best practice of "Limit attachments to a single page and re-use" (a practice recommended by Atlassian itself, once upon a time) and are disappointed in this change.

You may want to vote for, and add comments to, the issue "Ability to link text to an attachment in editor" https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-65302

As well as "Bring back advanced Link Search on the new editor"
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-65363

The only potential workaround that I have seen discussed is more labor intensive, and might be useful for reuse of image files but less useful for pdfs or other files:  Create a separate page (perhaps in a shared "library" space) for each image file, then use the "page include" macro to include (and reuse) that image on multiple other pages.

Hope this helps-- Sharon

Jeannine Hooper-Yan December 6, 2019

Thanks @Sharon Helms doesn't really help, but answers the question.  I did vote for and watch both links.  It's frustrating that this new interface seems to take away what we use/need and giving me fluff I really don't need.  We use Confluence as our internal knowledge base for our software projects - content is much more important that format.  And getting the content in is getting harder.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events