Create Confluence page versions manually

efinkelstein January 10, 2018

Hi, 

I’d like to be able to manually save page versions (vs a new version automatically bring created every time I save, which is the built in functionality), and to select which version a page defaults to when it opens. I’ve tried the Scroll Versions plugin, but it seems to have this functionality for the full space, and not for each page. 

Is there a way to do this on a page level? 

Thanks for your help!

Esther

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2018

No, there's no way to do it on a page level.  Confluence is built to record all changes, and has simple incremental revisions, as that's what most people need.

Scroll versions is probably your best bet, as it can publish fixed versions of spaces while the content continues to evolve.

You might also want to have a look at Comala workflows.  You can apply workflows to pages individually, and have an "authorise/publish" workflow that only exposes the versions you want users to see. 

If, for example, you wrote a new page, edited it a few times and then "authorised" version 4, non editing users would see version 4.  You then carry on editing it, creating versions 5 to 15.  Users would still only see version 4.  Then you authorise 15, and they see 15.

The flaw in this is that last time I used it, the add-on could not obscure all of the history, so as a user of the example above, I could look at the page, jump into the history and use "compare version 15 with version 10" and see all the changes.  A user could reconstruct the full history if they wanted ti.

efinkelstein January 10, 2018

Thank you so much, Nic! I'll definitely look into Comala to see if the functionality would be helpful for us - it sounds like it might be. 

1 vote
Shannon Meehan _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 4, 2019

Hi Esther, 

I'm Shannon from K15t, the vendors of the Scroll Versions app you took a look at. You're correct, Scroll Versions applies versioning to the entire space and not individual pages. 

But our Scroll Documents app does allow you to save page versions manually. All you have to do is define a page or a page tree as a document and then you can manually save a version or snapshot at any point in time. Depending on your workflow, you can choose to base these versions on the current version of the document or any of the other versions you've created. Here's a tutorial on how the versioning feature works

If you have any questions, we're happy to help or show you a demo. Just get in touch with us: hello@k15t.com.

Cheers, 

Shannon (K15t)

0 votes
Evangelos Mantadakis July 11, 2018

Hi @efinkelstein

We have released a plugin namely 'QC Documents for Confluence Cloud' that enables to create revision numbers for your pages

You can find a tutorial here .

More information you may find here . The plugin is only available for the Confluence Cloud. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events