Count child pages of parent when creating a page from template

Axel Holene June 19, 2017

I'm trying to automatically set parts of the title in pages created with a macro, inspiation found here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/How-to-count-the-number-of-child-pages-with-a-particular-label/qaq-p/445878

The macro I've written counts the child pages of the current parent, and returns that number + 1, indicating the numeric title of the page to be created

1 Parent (this page has a "create from template" button)
    1.1 Child one
    1.2 Child two
    1.3 Child three, etc.

The parent page has a "Create from template" button. When trying to use the `countChildren` macro when generating the `Child one` pages and so on from a Template, the returned number of children is zero. I suspect the macro doesn't recognize `1 Parent` as a parent page anymore. 

How do I refer to the `parent` page which calls the template in a macro?

## @noparams

#set($pageCount=0)
#foreach ($child in $content.children)
    #set($pageCount = $pageCount + 1)
#end
$pageCount  

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 21, 2017

Pretty easy change:

## @noparams

#set ( $pageCount = 0 )
#foreach ( $child in $content.parent.children )
    #set ( $pageCount = $pageCount + 1 )
#end
<p>$pageCount</p>
Axel Holene June 21, 2017

Thanks for the reply. This doesn't work in a template... Does the template page know its parent before it is "properly" created, i.e. it is available as a new page in the page tree? 

Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 21, 2017

Unfortunately it doesn't, it only knows it as soon as the page is saved. At the moment of creation before it is saved, it acts as an "orphaned" page. I don't think there's anything that can be done about this :(

Axel Holene June 21, 2017

Thanks for the effort, mate :-) 

The more I try to translate what I consider pretty simple requirements when it comes to reducing administration by using Confluence, the less impressed I am. 

Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 21, 2017

One thing that's nice about user macros is that just about nothing is impossible :)

This might work for you:

## @noparams

#set ( $Long = $generalUtil.systemStartupTime )

#set ( $templateParent = "" )
#set ( $referer = $req.getHeader("referer") )
#if ( $referer.contains("fromPageId=") )
    #foreach ( $part in $referer.split("&") )
        #if ($part.contains("fromPageId=") )
            #set ( $templateParent = $part.replace("fromPageId=", "") )
        #end
    #end
#end
#set ( $templateParent = $req.getParameter("fromPageId") )

#if ( $templateParent != "" )
    #set ( $parentPage = $pageManager.getPage($Long.parseLong($templateParent)) )
#else
    #set ( $parentPage = $content.parent )
#end

#set ( $pageCount = 0 )
#foreach ( $child in $parentPage.children )
    #set ( $pageCount = $pageCount + 1 )
#end
<span>$pageCount</span>

Axel Holene June 22, 2017

It works! Great! So thankful! :-D 

Where on earth did you find documentation for the magic you perform here?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events