Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could I set nginx as a reserve proxy for confluence cloud ?

Paul April 27, 2021

I would like to set an Nginx as a reserve proxy for my Confluence Cloud because some of our engineers slowly access the Confluence cloud and for local cache purposes. 

When I set Nginx as a reserve proxy for Confluence Cloud, I always see the following warning message.

2021-04-28_10-42-03.png

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2021

To put a proxy in front of a service, you have to configure the application server to understand that it is behind a proxy.  On Server/DC versions of Jira, this is 2-3 simple and standard changes to a Tomcat config file.  You have no access to do this on Cloud because Atlassian is providing a service, not a server and don't want to have to support potentially broken systems caused by user error.

So, in theory, you still can place a proxy in front of a Cloud system, parts of it will not function correctly, as the Cloud system won't talk to the proxy correctly.

On top of that, the url your proxy presents will be, well, wrong.  Your people will start on it if you give it to them, but they'll quickly be redirected to the actual Cloud site.  And, of course, all the links and references generated by the Jira will use the actual base url, not your proxy.

0 votes
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2021

Hi @Paul !

Confluence Cloud? I think it's bad Idea, and also Atlassian do caching for other vendors level

Paul April 28, 2021

Hi @Gonchik Tsymzhitov 

Thank you for your answer. But is it able to do it or not? Seems Atlassian block this kind of solution.

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 28, 2021

Regarding, allowing. how exactly do you want to implement it? 

if you use other domain? don't forget about CSP (content security policy)

if you do just proxying via dns address, or replacing don't  forget about CSRF protection. 

Based on that, it's bad idea for security side. 

Also, what exactly do you want to achieve? 

How it will help you?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events