Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could I please get the definitive upgrade path for Confluence.

Adam Hodgkinson December 29, 2015

We are currently running Confluence 3.5.9.
As I understand it, I need to upgrade to 5.0.3 and then to 5.9.

But I was recently informed of the need to go 3.5.17 when I asked this question:
https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/33128766.

I need to know what the proper upgrade path is and if UT Southwestern has licenses to run the current production server, a migration server and then a final destination server concurrently.

Is this the proper avenue to request this kind of support?

5 answers

1 vote
Artur J
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 29, 2015

Hi Adam,

We have a very detailed documentation, see Upgrading Confluence.

In order to make sure everything works as expected, to keep the downtime as short as possible and not end up with an unusable system:

Try all steps on a test system first! Make sure you take notes of every step!

Backup everything! Be sure you know how to restore the system in case something goes wrong.

Test everything throughly after the test and the productive migration!

I hope this helps. The whole procedure needs a bit of planning but it can be done.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 29, 2015

The answers you got on the other question are correct.  The definitive path is, and always has been 3.x -> 3.5.17 -> 5.0.3 -> 5.9. 

You might need more versions like 4.0 in there, but that will come out in your testing (and generally is not needed, 5.03 should be fine).  You might be able to get away with 3.5.9 to 5.0, but that is absolutely NOT definitive, and again, you won't know unless you test it.

For the licences, we don't know.  If you have current supported commercial licence (which you should find in your my.Atlassian account), then yes, you have production licence, and you can use the associated developer licences for your migration.

Colin McDermott_GLiNTECH February 19, 2021

Strange, this guide indicates that it's 5.0.3 -> 5.10.???

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/upgrading-confluence-4578.html

Would be great if Atlassian could pin the landing version here. I.e. move to this version as there are still older versions out there in the wild. 

0 votes
Chander Inguva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2016

Hey Adam,

You can import XML Data from 3.5.9 on to 3.5.17 and also from 3.5.17 to 5.0.3 and then from 5.0.3 to latest.I would have done an Upgrade from 3.5.17 to latest after importing data from 3.5.9 to 3.5.17.

Again, Please make sure you test it on Dev Instance first before proceeding on Production.

Regards

Chander

0 votes
Adam Hodgkinson December 31, 2015

Thank you for the prompt reply.
Is the data import path the same as the upgrade path?

We are thinking now that maybe we build a clean Virtual Machine and then import the data.
Would we need to build 3.5.17 on one VM and import our 3.5.9 data, then build a 5.0.3 machine and import that data? 

0 votes
Chander Inguva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 29, 2015

Hey Adam,

You need to Upgrade to 3.5.17 and later to 5.0.3 and then to 5.9. For any Upgrade support you have to raise support ticket with Atlassian at https://support.atlassian.com/

Hope this helps

Regards

Chander Inguva

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events