Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying table rows across Confluence pages

matt.hunt August 30, 2017

Before the most recent release (The one that chnaged the UI) I was seemingly able to copy whole rows of data between different tables on different Confluence pages simply by opening them in 2 browser windows and using Ctrl C / Ctrl P.

Since the release it will only copy the data into a single cell on the new page. Is this intentional or a bug of some kind? 

It's simple but quite effective functionality for us.

Thanks

Matt

5 answers

2 votes
Joel Ransom December 12, 2018

This was happening to me too until I realized you have to copy the rows in View mode (not edit) and then you can paste them to destination page in edit mode. 

Fjalar Sigurðarson February 4, 2019

This advice was super useful!

Kyle White October 8, 2019

You just saved me a TON of time, thank you!

2 votes
Alessandra.DiSilvestro October 19, 2017

I have the same issue and it is very annoying, and also time consuming to recreate the table.
If I select a row / table and copy-paste it, it is pasted as a unique cell, with all the texts, images mixed one under the other.
If somebody has a solution, please let us know.

丘麗娟 August 14, 2018

Yes, I've the same problem. It's very annoying indeed.

Syed iqbal December 17, 2018

Very frustrating! I have a HUGE table I need to split. I would need to spend at least 30 minutes recreating the half I need to a new table.

Joel Ransom December 17, 2018

What are you doing? I copy table rows all the time. 

Actually I just found out I need to use the inbuilt tools for copying and pasting columns/rows. Normal copy/paste doesn't work. I copied (clicked the copy columns icon from the menu) the columns I need > Inserted a new table with one cell > unformatted 'heading row' > pasted (clicked the paste columns icon from the menu).

If I do command+copy and command+paste, it just pastes the entire content of the table in a single cell, all jumbled.

But I figured it out now, just not an intuitive interface.

Like # people like this
Joel Ransom December 17, 2018

If it helps, I can do a normal copy in view mode, and then copy in edit mode. 

Like # people like this

I will try that... That would be the most simple solution, thank you.

1 vote
Philip_Vo November 21, 2018

1. Select all rows of the table

2. Press Ctrl+Shift+C

3. Create a single cell in the target page (It is not normal. But it works)

4. Locate the cursor inside the cell

5. Press Ctrl+Shift+V

Trevena McClinton December 13, 2018

Thank you! This works perfectly!

Gina Nace March 8, 2019

Amazing, thank you.

0 votes
Philip_Vo November 21, 2018

The steps below worked on Windows 10, Word 2016 and Chrome

1. In View mode, copy the table from the source page using Ctrl+C

2. Open Microsoft Word; paste the content from Clipboard into Word document

3. Open the target page in Edit mode; Create a table with the same row and column

4. In Word, click the Plus Sign with Arrow to choose the table; Press Ctrl+C

5. Switch to target page; Place cursor at the first cell of the empty table

6. Press Ctrl+P

Sorry. it may not work

0 votes
Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 30, 2017

Hello Matt,

As far as I know, it is designed so. Copying of rows or columns (by clicking buttons in the table toolbar) doesn't copy them to a clipboard, it works in javascript and only in current editor.

The workaround for is to select a row and copy (Ctrl+C) it to another page, then click this row and copy-paste it using toolbar buttons.

matt.hunt August 31, 2017

Hi Andrey,

Not sure if it's my understanding of your reply but that is the process i seem to be following except when the data is pasted into the new page it doesn't seem to paste as a table?

Cheers

Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2017

Hi Matt,

I can do it in Chrome browser by slecting row content, Ctrl+C and pasting it into the editor. Also I can fill in an empty row of a table with copied row.

matt.hunt September 4, 2017

Thanks for taking the time to reply once again Andrey. However, unless it's once again my understanding it's almost like I am seeing a completely different behaviour.

I just tried copying and pasting a whole table in the same page and it still just pastes as plain text (No Table format).

I guess we will have to learn to live with it for now!

Thanks for your time though!

Matt

Miroslav Genev September 28, 2018

A workaround I am using: Open the page in the source editor (when editing, the <> button on the right in the toolbar), copy the needed markup (either the whole <table>...</table> or just the <tr>...<tr> you need), open the target page in source editor too, and paste where needed.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events