Copying data with decimal points changes numbers to 1.

Dawid Nawrot January 7, 2020

I'm copying data from Excel to a table but numbers like:

are automatically changed to a numbered list 1.94 and 1.12

I can't copy using CTRL+SHIFT+V because then the data won't go into the cells properly. Can we disable this automatic list? It's a terrible experience!

3 answers

0 votes
Mike Bowen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2020

Hi @Dawid Nawrot 

Spotted on another post... Someone else has logged this problem with the Support Desk. They advise you click the link below and watch the issue (hopefully get resolved).

CONFCLOUD-68744 Pasting single digit decimal numbers in new editor results in numbered list replacing the first digit

It appears to be related to the formatting, so pasting the contents into a code block or pasting from a raw text document appear to work without auto-formatting to a numbered list.

-Mike

Mike May January 15, 2020

Thanks for this link Mike. I am seeing the exact same issue. 

0 votes
James Conway
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2020

@Dawid Nawrot

What i do sometimes is use text concatenation in to a helper cell with wiki markup. Then copying that in to a wiki markup marco. 

E.g. in Excel Column D

Header Row function ="||"&TEXTJOIN("||",FALSE,A1:C1)&"||"
Other Rows function ="|"&TEXTJOIN("|",FALSE,A2:C2)&"|"

See more info about wiki markup for tables here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/confluence-wiki-markup-251003035.html#ConfluenceWikiMarkup-Tables

0 votes
Mike Bowen
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 7, 2020

Hi @Dawid Nawrot 

When you say you are copying data from Excel to a table, are you simply copying a couple of rows in your Excel and then dropping them into a blank page, which auto creates the table or are you copying into an already defined table? 

I ask because I just copied a couple of rows from a sheet in Google & Excel with numbers containing decimals and pasted into a blank page. It worked just fine. 

I also copied and entire column of decimals, and it auto-created a table with all the values in it. 

I also copied the decimals and overwrote my cells in a table and they too copied okay. I am not experiencing what you are experiencing.

I use Right Click Mouse and Paste - works perfectly,

I also tried CTRL+V to paste - works perfectly. 

row vs column paste.png

-Mike

Dawid Nawrot January 7, 2020

I already have a table because I built the structure in confluence and then copied the table and then filled it with data. Unfortunately it changes things like 8.25 to 1.  25

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events