Copying Space or Pages to another Confluence Sitte

Steve Koinm May 6, 2021

I have a template space with several pages that I would like to be able to provide to a client.  I want to actually have them have these pages in their own Confluence instance - whether they are users now or become subscribers.  Is there a way to copy a tree from one client site to another client's site?  I could have access to both in order to seed this and get it started.  

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2021
Steve Koinm May 6, 2021

This is very useful info.  From what I see in those posts, there really only seems to be a way to export and import a whole space at a time where you can export as XML.  Pages, on the other hand, have to be done one at a time, I cannot take a page and all of its children and export them.  

Thanks for the info!

Like Alex likes this
0 votes
Jim Birch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2022

More information

Use space export to created a zip of some or all of the pages in a space.

This zip can then copied to the <home>/restore folder on the target server and imported using the Admin/Backup & Restore page.

WARNING:  If the target space key exists, it can be totally overwritten with the new files!  Confluence does a collision check but the check doesn't always work.  I had a space overwritten, fortunately on a Test server so ok. 

If Confluence detects a collision it will either overwrite (bad) or not let you import (also a problem.) 

If you are running the whole process you can do the transfer safely like this:

1.  Create a new space on the source server with a unique name and key eg X-2022-07-11

2.  Copy the transfer pages to the new space, include attachments and children as required

3.  Export the new space

4.  Rename the export zip file in <home>/temp to something identifiable and transfer it to the restore folder on the target server.

5.  Import the zip, creating a new space

6.  Transfer the files to where you actually want them.

7.  Clean up temporary spaces and zip files.

If you have a zip file supplied to you:

Unzip it and check for the name of the space.  If there is a collision, you can either carefully change all instances of the "bad" space key to a unique new name, rezip it, and import.  Alternately, if yo don't want to hack the xml, restore to a test instance, then use the above process to make a non-colliding space then export and import that.        

0 votes
Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 6, 2021

Hi, @Steve Koinm !

If I correctly understand your question, you can export your page/space from one Confluence Site and import it on another Confluence Site using Export content to Word, PDF, HTML and XML .

Each method has its own pros and cons.

Steve Koinm May 6, 2021

What I want of those methods is what I get from exporting XML.  I don't really get great results using PDF and Word and trying to import them back in.  But as far as I can see, I can only export a Space as XML and not a Page and all of its children.  I would have to build out my template that I share into a separate space...not impossible...but it can only be imported in the other instance as a whole space, not as pages within a space.  Though I think the client could actually move things afterwards.  

Not a perfect solution yet.

Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 6, 2021

In that case you can try any high-scored external apps from Atlassian Marketplace.

It can give you more qualitative page export to Word.

Then you can import Word documents as a single page - the documentation:

You can import Word documents as a single page, or divide the contents up into multiple pages, based on the headings in your document. This is useful if you have a lot of content stored in existing documents, or if you are migrating from another system or platform that allows you to export to Word format. 

To import a Word document:

1 View an existing page.  The page chosen becomes the parent page of the document imported.

2 From the top right of the page, choose  •••  > Import Word Document.

3 Choose Select file to import, locate the Word document you want to import, then choose Import. The  take you onto the Import configuration step.

4 Choose the import options you want (see below for more info), and then Import. 

When the upload has finished, pages will be created with the content of the Word documents. You can then view and edit this page as normal. There's no further connection between the original Word document and this page.

Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 6, 2021

@Steve Koinm ,if it is single job/action - you can try apps for trial period to migrate all single pages that you need.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events