Copying Confluence page from one space to another and updates.

Charlie Vinall May 2, 2021

Hi,

I wanted to know if when I copy a Confluence page with embedded JIRA links in it from one space to another and I update the Original page, will it automatically make the updates the the copied version. If not automatic is there a way it can be done?

Thanks,

Charlie

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2021

No, a copy at a point in time is a copy.  You'll get what you copied.  If the source is completely rewritten or even destroyed, the copy is not affected.

That's the point of a copy, it's independent of the original.  It can't (and shouldn't) be affected by the original.

However, Confluence also caters for "single source of truth".  This means not "copying", but "going back to source".  Instead of making (potentially redundant) copies, use includes and pull data from your single source.  Don't have 42 pages which are all copies of the same thing, have 1 page as the source of the right data and then include it in the other 41 places.  Edit the source, no-one else has to do anything.

Charlie Vinall May 2, 2021

Thanks, I needed a copy as I have a restricted Vendor space so do not want the Vendor to see the full content of the space I admin internally but would like to update the internal page and as stated flows through to the Vendor space. How do I do "Single source of truth"?

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 3, 2022

Hi @Charlie Vinall ,

I believe what Nic was referring to is the "Page Include Macro"  that can be used to include a whole page into another page or use the Excerpt and Excerpt Include macros If you want to include part of a page rather than the whole page.

Using this method the included content will display on the destination page and when edited on the source page the data will be updated by the macro on the destination page as well, as the macro is simply displaying content from one location to the other "source of truth" page

Regards,
Earl

Like Charlie Vinall likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events