Copy/pasted content inserts extra paragraph breaks/new lines, breaks formatting

Mariya Rybak December 15, 2021

Hi all,

Our team has been moving content over from other tools and has ran into the issue of copy/paste creating extra paragraph breaks/new lines -- where we have just one paragraph break, Confluence inserts two. This breaks our general formatting and requires edits every time, and gets really tedious for long documentation or for things like email templates we've copied over.

I've tried searching for bugs on this and haven't been able to find any, but before I filed a bug with Atlassian I wanted to see if there's a way around this that maybe we haven't discovered yet? Any suggestions from y'all?

Thanks in advance!

2 answers

1 vote
Sam Ugulava
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2022

Hi @Mariya Rybak

I'm a Product Manager on the Confluence Content Experience team. My team is going to investigate this bug in our next sprint. Hopefully should be a simple fix, but I'll circle back once we have more information. Thanks for flagging this. I completely empathize with how frustrating this would be as you move content into Confluence. 

Mariya Rybak January 13, 2022

Exciting, thanks so much @Sam Ugulava !

Like Sam Ugulava likes this
buddha August 17, 2022

Any news on this?

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2022

@buddha best thing is to watch the Confluence issues: CONFCLOUD-73315 . But given that there are so few people watching the issue, it will probably never get fixed.

John Price
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2022

@Sam Ugulava I see the same thing in Jira Cloud.  Pretty often I send an Outlook email and then paste the text into a comment as a quick record like:

"Emailed Bob:

(pasted email)"

This always doubles the whitespace.  I assume it's because Windows line breaks are CR+LF. 

I'm now watching the Confluence issue above but don't see one for Jira.

0 votes
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 15, 2021

Hello @Mariya Rybak If you are pasting from word, this can happen if people are using returns in between paragraphs. It is annoying. Plus often there is inline formatting that gets pasted in as well from some sources. My process is to use the source editor, and a number of save Regex routines to clear out the junk.

I would also suggest looking the Word import function if that helps. And take a good look at your source to see what you are ACTUALLY pasting in.

Mariya Rybak December 15, 2021

Is the source editor/regex available on Cloud to set that up?

Also, we're copying from Google Docs.

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 15, 2021

Yes, there is a paid plugin editor for the Cloud:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1215664/source-editor-for-confluence?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

It might be that google doc natively has two returns. I can use the browser to inspect function to see.

Mariya Rybak December 17, 2021

@Bill Bailey a paid plugin should not be the answer here. :(

I talked to Atlassian Support and this is actually buggy behavior. Here's the bug -- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-73315

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 17, 2021

Interesting. Do you have the option to export to Word from Google docs? And then maybe an import into Confluence wont have the same issue?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events