Copy / paste images from google doc into confluence page

Anna Bayliss September 23, 2018

Hi Atlassian team - I am trying to copy over some documentation from a google doc into Confluence, but it is not allowing me to copy and paste images into my confluence page.
- is there anything I need to do in order to enable this (as reloading the images will take forever so am hoping there is a shorter route to the desired outcome)

Many thanks Anna

2 answers

0 votes
Hans Leemans October 20, 2020

Hello, indeed it is true that some of the images in Google docs documents will not be copied when using cut&paste. It depends however on the way your Google documents originate the images. If images in the Google docs document are copied from URL for example it probably will fail during the paste in a Confluence page. Nothing can be done about that at this time and this is on the wish list many months.

The work around you can use is to open Google docs document, then save it as docx Word document and then import the Word document with the import Word macro. It will create a new page with the Word document in it.

image2019-10-9_9-4-35.png

0 votes
Lava Kumar Dukanam {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2018

Hi @Anna Bayliss,

Copying is a problem or Pasting it in is?

If Copy is a problem, then it is more of a google doc question.

I just tried to copy image from google doc and pasted it into confluence page, it just worked.

Not sure if your are trying to do it from doc preview mode, if so, just use "open with" at the top and select Google Doc. then select all, copy it and paste it in confluence page.

Let me know if i'm missing something or this answered your question.

Regards,

Lava

Anna Bayliss September 25, 2018

Hi @Lava Kumar Dukanam {Appfire}

No, it seems to be an issue with Confluence, as I am able to copy and paste an image from Google doc into the following applications without issue

- Another google doc

- Word doc

- Excel doc

- Outlook email

Do you have any ideas if I need a plug-in to make it work?

For your ref I am using Chrome Version 69.0.3497.100 on a Mac

Cheers

Anna

Like # people like this
Anna Bayliss October 22, 2018

Hi All - just wondering if anyone has a solution for my query?

Like andrewnell likes this
Hans Leemans October 8, 2019

Yes, we have exactly the same issue. Copy Google docs with Ctrl-A (Win) and paste it into a Confluence page will not work. At least, the images are lost in this way. You might use Google docs export to docx and use Word import but that makes it not very user friendly.

We are also looking for a solution as we want to migrate a lot of content from Google docs and Gitlab (same issue) to Confluence.

Like # people like this
Danielle Mayrberger February 13, 2020

Any update on this?  I am facing this issue and have a huge repository of Google Docs to move to Confluence!

Like andrewnell likes this
Stephan Kozak
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 4, 2023

yeah it doesn't work, I download it as a Word or pdf temporarily and then copy and paste them separately, works better if you have everything formatted properly that's the workaround for now

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events