Copy page (and child pages) to another space

Stephen Kairys April 6, 2016

Using Confluence 5.9.7 under Windows 10.

I have a Wiki Page (call it "Customers") which contains six child pages. I need to revamp the page tree, but would like to do a dry run on a copy of the page in case something goes wrong. Accordingly, I need to copy the entire page (and its child pages) from our public space to my private space.

The COPY command did not work for me for two reasons:

1. It automatically created a copy within the same space w/o giving an option to copy it elsewhere. (The name would be (e.g) "Copy of Customers".)
  2. It did not copy the child pages.

Workaround?

I am willing to do a copy (to same space) and then a move (to private space) if that process would bring over the child pages.

Thanks,

Steve

6 answers

1 accepted

12 votes
Answer accepted

OK that's a start. How do I change a page's location before I save? Thank you for the speedy response! smile

Alice April 6, 2016

If you're in Confluence 5.9 - when you have the copied page version open, there's a symbol between the page path and label/permissions icon that looks like a pagetree. If you click on that, you can define the new space and parent page. The symbol only appears when you first create the page - otherwise you'd have to use the "move" option under the page tools menu. 

The above worked well for me. I would caution anyone out there to be sure you have entered the "new" space correctly before choosing the parent page...to avoid the page being copied into the same space.

Thank you for your help!

Sandy Johnson April 7, 2016

Just an FYI, users would need delete rights in the source space to move pages from one space to another. We restrict our user's ability to delete pages, so they would not be able to do this.

Stephen Kairys April 7, 2016

Sandy,

Thanks for that info. I have delete rights so we're good. That said, I needed to request those rights from my Admin before I could perform a move. smile

Wenyu Shi
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 30, 2017

Hi Stephen,

I was trying Alice's method as described above but I got this problem: I indicated the "new" space in the corresponding field but got a prompt saying that this new space can't be found. At the bottom of that prompt dialogue window, the new location path is nothing new but the source/current location. How did you work around this? 

Stephen Kairys June 30, 2017

Apololgies. It's been so long since I posed this question that I've forgotten about it.

Hopefully someone else on this forum can help. Or, maybe you can contact the Atlassian Help Desk?

Good luck.

0 votes

OK looks like my last reply was lost so...

1. Will need to do manually since I'm not an admin.
  2. But, I should check to see if such a Plugin is installed...how do to?

Thanks.

0 votes

In that case, will do manually, keeping in mind your prior remark about defining where to copy. Will try after lunch. Thanks again! smile

0 votes

Do I need to be an Admin to install? I'm not....Thanks.

Alice April 6, 2016

Yes. 

0 votes

Or, how  about this "brute force" workaround?

1. Copy "Customers" to "Copy of Customers" within the public space.
  2. Immediately restrict it to myself.
  3. Move it to the private "Stephen" space.
  4. For each child page.
    1. Copy "XXXX" to "Copy of XXXX" within the public space.
    2. Immediately restrict it to myself.
    3. Move it to the private "Stephen" space under the page I moved in step 3.

As there are only six child pages, and none of them has children, the above sounds workable. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Alice April 6, 2016

Sure, that would work. But I'm a stickler for efficiency - you'd spend less time installing the copy page tree plugin than you would copy/moving 6 pages individually. 

0 votes
Alice April 6, 2016

There are a number of "copy page tree" plugins at marketplace.Atlassian.com - both free and paid.

Apart from that - when you copy a page, you can chance its location before saving so you can move it to a new space. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events