Copy page also copies attachments by default

Patrick Vanhoof
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2020

Using Confluence 7.2.

When copying a page, the option to also copy the attachments is a standard enabled. Lots of users don't even notice the option and just copy the page. With a lot of duplicate attachments as a consequence.

Is there a way to disable that option by default?

Wat are the use cases to have it standard enabled?

Thanks,

Patrick

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2020

Hey @Patrick Vanhoof ,

since every picture on the page is basically also an attachment, I can understand that this is the standard here. Imagine you copy a page, maybe move it to another space and attachments would not be copied but only referenced from the original page. 

Imagine to copy this page again sometime, how should attachments be handled then? I think this would very soon become complex and cumbersome, and we are not even talking about changing access to the "original page".

In fact, it is easier to copy everything and have the user take care of removing unneeded attachments. You just have to make sure that the users are aware of the processes and make them understand the implications - so to speak: to educate/train them.

I'm not aware of any way to change this behavior in Confluence. I know this might not be what you want to hear, but if you really need this option, you should take a look at the apps available in the marketplace. I have included a screenshot of our own application called "Space Admin for Confluence", which comes with a built-in space browser for improved content management and enhances the available operations like copying a page (choosing what to copy and what not). You might want to try it (and its other features as well.)

spad_copy_page.png

I'm sorry I couldn't help you more here!

Best, Max

Patrick Vanhoof
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2020

Hi Max,

Thanks for your answer.

I can understand that in some/many cases it is useful to have attachments copied too. But it wouldn't be so cumbersome if one didn't have to delete the attachments one by one if not needed... But there is always the option to delete the copy and re-copy the page without the attachments.

It is indeed a case of education/training. So we will keep the standard :)

Regards,

Patrick

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events