Copy/cut/paste columns in confluence table - new editor

Jeannine Hooper-Yan February 28, 2019

In the new editor - I can't find the cut / copy then paste options for table rows and columns.

TableCutCopyPaste.jpg

Where are they in the new editor?  I'm working in the cloud.

7 answers

6 votes
Gerri M March 6, 2019

Ctrl-x ctrl-v This doesn't work with columns

Andrew Webster March 29, 2019

I agree - this doesn't work with columns.  Attempting to copy and paste a column only copies the first cell.

Like # people like this
Steve B July 27, 2021

2021 and this is still not fixed 

Like David Lange likes this
Teresa Janz October 15, 2021

I can't believe they got rid of that option. I use the cut/paste row functionality all the time. Now, there is no way that I'm not going to overwrite data and not notice it. Horrible experience. 

David Lange November 29, 2023

its now 2023 almost 2024 and Copy/Past a single field is still now working. 

Like dawetwo likes this
2 votes
Venkatagiri_Acharya February 3, 2020

The cool trick here  is that you can copy the content while you are in View Mode.  And then copy when you come to edit mode. This is working for me.

2 votes
philoye
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 28, 2019

You can use normal Cmd+X, Cmd+C, Cmd+V, along with their Windows equivalents using Control.

Jeannine Hooper-Yan March 4, 2019

So - I tried that and my feedback is - it works if you know the exact steps to follow.  And this feels like a work around and not an improved process.

My PC is Windows 10 and I'm using Chrome.  

For Ctrl-X/C/V to work - the sequence is

1. highlight the row I want to move
  2. Use Ctrl-X to cut.  I cannot use RMB-Cut - because as soon as I RMB, the row unselects.
  3. Go to where I want to paste and insert a blank row.  If I don't insert the blank row, the paste will go over the existing content
  4. Click in the blank row and use Ctrl-V to paste

The specific table tools in the old editor were much more efficient and intuitive. I didn't find this solution because I was selecting the row and doing an RMB.

Like # people like this
Daniel Brumund December 5, 2019

Hi Philoye, can you PLEASE reinstate the buttons for cutting/pasting both rows and columns in tables? They are essential for the user-experience - and right now, the new table editor, really is just making things worse...

Like # people like this
Vanessa Barrett November 11, 2021

@philoye is there any update on this? its been years and the experience has not got any better. It's a really poor experience. 

Like David Lange likes this
1 vote
Ethan Yew
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 16, 2022

Hi all, for anyone coming across this thread still unsure of how to copy, cut, and paste table rows in Atlassian products (in lieu of having dedicated buttons for these operations) I've added an update to a related suggestion ticket (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-67594) with a video clarifying how you can achieve the desired outcomes using conventional keyboard shortcuts. 

1 vote
Tom Hawkins December 14, 2021

@philoye @Atlassian just assessing moving to Cloud as a relatively happy Confluence Server user, I know I'm not the only one in my organisation who would find this disappointing. I have found and voted for https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-67594 and recommend others might want to do the same 

Tom Hawkins November 2, 2023

@DavidFingerle thanks for the vote, it may interest you to know that now I've migrated from Server to Cloud I see that the legacy editor is there in Cloud which DOES support the copy/cut/paste buttons I'm used to in Server, and is the default option for all my migrated pages, so I've been sticking with that. 

0 votes
Peter de Raadt August 4, 2020

Actually this is quite easy if you want to copy - paste in the same column: select a row > right mouse > select Copy > go to the location where you want to copy > be sure there is an empty row > Paste

jim.marsden February 21, 2021

Doesn't work as expected at all.  First, you lose and coloration in the cells.  Second, you lose the links you've added to apps like Jira. We have weekly reports we copy rows from and into a similarly-formatted overall general report. The data uses extended content, like links to external apps, users, dates, special characters, cell coloration, etc.  With the old version you simply "Copy Table Row" (or rows) from the weekly report and "Paste Table Row" (or rows) with no issues and it inserts them cleanly into the destination without danger of overwriting other work.

With the new "solution" when you "Copy " from one and "Paste" to the other, you lose formatting, coloration in cells, link references, etc. and if you need to paste multiple rows other than at the end of the general report, it's even more risky since it doesn't insert - it overwrites!

0 votes
Wilfried Rijsemus December 17, 2019

What a horrible experience. It was already a poor table editor in the previous version but this one is downright missing functionality.

I've been using Confluence since 2006 and I've only seen it stripped and go downhill. 

Best way to create a table is go to Google Sheets or Excel and paste it in when done

Daniel Brumund December 17, 2019

I fully agree - and I'm deeply disappointed...

Like # people like this
Jeremy Nevill May 22, 2020

Yep, it's a complete bag of spanners this new editor.  
Column selection is totally non-existent on Safari on the Mac, and even when you force yourself to use Chrome just to edit tables the copy and paste is a random affair... we have got hundreds of tables in Confluence and the new editor makes it nigh on impossible to do simple row/column management.

Like Feargal Hogan likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events