Copy and paste from excel to confluence table?

Hi

I'm editing a page in confluence ( in google chrome) and i need to add a table from excel into confluence. When i copy and paste the table across though the cells get pasted only in the first cell of the table in confluence. How can I copy and paste the table across so that the format stays the same? 

3 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

You can also create a 1 cell x 1 cell table and paste the Excel table into the cell and Confluence will build out the table correctly.

But this does not work if you try to do this within a page 'Section' - only if you are outside a 'Section' so within the page body itself.

Also:

If you want to enable the Confluence feature which allows the sorting by column when the page is in display mode, you have to create a table which has a header row with the exact number of columns in it.  You then copy the Excel table, and paste it into the left-most column (first column), and Confluence will build the table out, and sorting will be enabled in display mode.

for me it also does not work, but i'm doing it in JIRA and not in confluence.

In JIRA, you can use this handy tool to make the table markup:

http://excel2jira.bluurgh.com/

It's fantastic.

Jira don't do tables like Confluence does.  :-(

yeah I use that one for a while now, after I did some google.

it would be nice if it could be a plugin though. or maybe is not active in my jira. I'll look next time i go into the markups

Agree, and it's annoying to have to use this every time we want to change the table, or we have to actually navigate the markup.

Even more frustrating that there is a "table" button on the "Other" menu, but all that does is insert the markup.

Kate Hanna THANK YOU!!!

I have been unable to make this work. Confluence insists that it will only paste one cell from Excel. 

I have tried

• Creating a 1x1 table in confluence and pasting the Excel table - doesn't work
  • Creating a same size table but pasting into the first cell (A1) - doesn't work
  • Creating the same size table, selecting the entire table and pasting - doesn't work. 

I have multiple tables that are just easier to manipulate in Excel with hundreds of row, there must be something I am doing wrong. 

Hmm, this is something odd with the way the table is copied from Confluence -> Excel, then back from Excel -> Confluence. If I ignore the first row (in Excel) of what I originally copied from Confluence, then I seem to get something that works and can be pasted back to Confluence. I just then need to re-add the first row. 

Talk about cumbersome and unintuitive. 

Have you tried with Firefox? I have noticed that tables seem to work differently (and better) in Firefox. I am able to copy from Confluence, place a cursor in an Excel cell, and paste. The table pastes correctly.

Chrome works for me, but can't paste tables with FF (browser extensions may affect this)

Hi Krisan

You need to either select an identical layout for your table to match the number of columns/rows being copied across or not copy into any table in which case Confluence will then create the table for you to the right size.

Also:

If you want to enable the Confluence feature which allows the sorting by column when the page is in display mode, you have to create a table which has a header row with the exact number of columns in it.  You then copy the Excel table, and paste it into the left-most column (first column), and Confluence will build the table out, and sorting will be enabled in display mode.

Hi krisan, 

If you want to copy paste single or multiple rows from excel to confluence, just create new rows (whose number equals to what you are trying to paste). And copy the rows from excel and paste them in the first empty cell.

If you have any problem with this, better create a new page in new tab and paste the table, then copy the rows and paste it in the page where you want to insert, before that create a single empty row.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

532 views 7 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you