It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Copied screenshot images not showing on new pages. Can I get them back?

We had begun creating documentation for a system in Confluence prior to the change in page creation.  Since only a handful of pages had been done, I copied the content to new pages so everything would be consistent.  The documentation included a number of screenshots that will be challenging to recreate.  When I copied the content from the old page to the new page, the images were included and looked just fine on my screen.  Now all anyone sees is a tiny image box and when you click on it, nothing shows. 

image missing.PNGI tried capturing the URL at the top and pasting it into a separate window.  I get a Page Not Found error.

Where did my images go and how can I get them back?  

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mike_Rathwell Community Leader Aug 13, 2019

Hi @Glenda Smith ,

I run into this all the time... and finally gave up doing direct copy/paste of screenshots to pages as they had a rather ephemeral feel such as you're seeing now. I can see a nice page I just created, publish it and... nada.

While a bit of a PITA, I've taken the approach of attaching the captures as image files to the page (or somewhere I reference them from) and point at actual files... 

mike

Thanks Mike.  This seems like a bug that Atlassian needs to address.  Before doing what I did, I researched and found other people mentioning how easy it was to just copy pages from the old to the new.  I guess they didn't have screenshots.  If I end up recreating them, I'll definitely do what you suggest (or at least save a copy on my hard drive).

When you put the images into Confluence, they have to be stored somewhere.  So I'm guessing they still exist somewhere -- I just want them back.  If I could even recover the original pages, I could download them and try again.  But it doesn't appear that's possible either.

Mike_Rathwell Community Leader Aug 13, 2019

Short answer is "I dunno". You will be right but I've never expended the energy to look for 'em. Usually I just utter a few rather... pithy... words and then attach image files... 

Would be interested if anyone else comes up with something on this so I can have a "better" answer for my user community.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

What project did you transition or start on Confluence with the shift to remote work?

It’s been great to hear from fellow users over the last few weeks about the best tips and fun moments you’ve had working on Confluence since the transition to working remote. I’d love to keep the c...

159 views 3 8
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you