Control of Line Spacing

I have just upgraded to v4.0 and I see that we no longer have to use the Wiki Markup, very good except for the one thing that I used it for most.

When editing, the Standard editor anoyingly puts in double spacing every time you hit return to go to the next line, so I used to go to the Wiki editor and take out all these extra lines.

How do I do it now, or set the default line spacing at single space instead of double space?

6 answers

1 accepted

You mean he starts a new paragraph instead of using the next line? I do not have C4 running here at the moment, but can you try with SHIFT+Enter?

Shift+enter is also commonly used in Word and other editors to get a new line instead of a new paragraph. But it should be in the keyboard shortcut list as it is quite usefull.

I have no idea if you can change it to default.

Thanks Thomas

Indeed shift+enter works, how did you know that - its not in the Keyboard Shortcut list!

Or is there some unofficial list somewhere?

anyway since I need a new line more often than a new paragraph can I make it the normal response to hitting the enter key?

David Simpson Community Champion Sep 28, 2011

SHIFT+Enter is fairly common in editors. Indeed it works here too:

Hit the Enter key:

You get here

Hit SHIFT+Enter:
You get here

This is obviously the right answer - although I had never come accross it before

Whether this works in Word I don't know, it doesn't seem to be in the Word 2003 list of keyboard short cuts

It seems that there is a difference between a hard return and a soft return although the nuance escape me.

1 vote

Should also highlight that we have a feature request to change the default paragraph bahaviour. If you think that would help you, you might want to watch/vote this issue: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-5949

That's closed-wontfix, so voting probably won't help

What about half-line spacing?

After a procedural step, I frequently want to add some descriptive text. I need something between placing it immediately underneath the numbered step versus a new paragraph. Neither is satisfactory. For example:

1. Step 1
    Result description
  2. Step 2

Result description
  3. Step 3

One option is too tight; the other is too spacy. Too binary for me - I need a middle option!

Shift+Enter or simply Enter can be a workaround, not the efficient method when you have to publish a number of articles on daily basis.

I would vote to have a Line Spacing control button on the toolbar. That would make the job easy for authors.

Here is a way

Use a macro called "no format"
So be where you want to paste in the confluence document. Type a left curly bracket (uppercase the left square bracket), then start typing no format. Select the "no format" option. This creates a box that when you paste single spaced text it stays single spaced in the box.

Here is a way to paste single spacing

Use a macro called "no format"
So be where you want to paste in the confluence document. Type a left curly bracket (uppercase the left square bracket), then start typing no format. Select the "no format" option. This creates a box that when you paste single spaced text it stays single spaced in the box.

Note, when typing that shift enter does single spacing, where enter does double spacing. This works in word and wordpad also.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

370 views 20 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you