It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Control of Line Spacing

I have just upgraded to v4.0 and I see that we no longer have to use the Wiki Markup, very good except for the one thing that I used it for most.

When editing, the Standard editor anoyingly puts in double spacing every time you hit return to go to the next line, so I used to go to the Wiki editor and take out all these extra lines.

How do I do it now, or set the default line spacing at single space instead of double space?

8 answers

1 accepted

18 votes
Answer accepted

You mean he starts a new paragraph instead of using the next line? I do not have C4 running here at the moment, but can you try with SHIFT+Enter?

Shift+enter is also commonly used in Word and other editors to get a new line instead of a new paragraph. But it should be in the keyboard shortcut list as it is quite usefull.

I have no idea if you can change it to default.

Thanks Thomas

Indeed shift+enter works, how did you know that - its not in the Keyboard Shortcut list!

Or is there some unofficial list somewhere?

anyway since I need a new line more often than a new paragraph can I make it the normal response to hitting the enter key?

SHIFT+Enter is fairly common in editors. Indeed it works here too:

Hit the Enter key:

You get here

Hit SHIFT+Enter:
You get here

Like # people like this

This is obviously the right answer - although I had never come accross it before

Whether this works in Word I don't know, it doesn't seem to be in the Word 2003 list of keyboard short cuts

It seems that there is a difference between a hard return and a soft return although the nuance escape me.

Shift+Enter or simply Enter can be a workaround, not the efficient method when you have to publish a number of articles on daily basis.

I would vote to have a Line Spacing control button on the toolbar. That would make the job easy for authors.

What about half-line spacing?

After a procedural step, I frequently want to add some descriptive text. I need something between placing it immediately underneath the numbered step versus a new paragraph. Neither is satisfactory. For example:

1. Step 1
    Result description
  2. Step 2

Result description
  3. Step 3

One option is too tight; the other is too spacy. Too binary for me - I need a middle option!

I believe I just discovered how to do this (after a lot of frustration - no thanks to Confluence!). If you can use the Source Editor, then adjust the line height using "line-height" command. For example: <span style="line-height: 2;">your text</span>

I find that "2" aligns with Heading 2 spacing and you can play around with 1.5, 1.6 (etc.) spacing as needed.

3 votes

Should also highlight that we have a feature request to change the default paragraph bahaviour. If you think that would help you, you might want to watch/vote this issue: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-5949

That's closed-wontfix, so voting probably won't help

@David Skreiner2, that's another reason to use competing solutions.

Both Shift-Enter and the "No Format" solutions do work when creating new pages.

HOWEVER, what if I have an existing (large) page full of hard (double spacing) hard returns and I want to replace them all with soft (single-space) returns?

How do I do that?

Right now, I need to copy the text I want to fix, paste it into a real editor like NotePad++ or Eclipse, remove the extra in-between lines, and then copy and paste into Confluence. 

This manual work is crazy. Not that the Great Newline Schism was your fault, but you need to give us the opportunity to easily fix it in our documents. (see https://blog.codinghorror.com/the-great-newline-schism/) 

Doesn't Confluence have a search and replace for replacing CRLF (CarriageReturn LineFeed = 0x0D (13 decimal) and 0x0A (10 decimal)) with NL (NewLine)? (or whatever it takes).

I found the magnifying glass at the right of the editor-panel (when in edit mode), but there doesn't seem to be a way to paste a CRLF into the Search field, nor a LF into the Replace field.

Here is a way to paste single spacing

Use a macro called "no format"
So be where you want to paste in the confluence document. Type a left curly bracket (uppercase the left square bracket), then start typing no format. Select the "no format" option. This creates a box that when you paste single spaced text it stays single spaced in the box.

Note, when typing that shift enter does single spacing, where enter does double spacing. This works in word and wordpad also.

Here is a way

Use a macro called "no format"
So be where you want to paste in the confluence document. Type a left curly bracket (uppercase the left square bracket), then start typing no format. Select the "no format" option. This creates a box that when you paste single spaced text it stays single spaced in the box.

I believe I just discovered how to do this (after a lot of frustration - no thanks to Confluence!). If you can use the Source Editor, then adjust the line height using "line-height" command. For example: style="line-height: 2;" (I used in under "span" headline)

I find that "2" aligns with Heading 2 spacing and you can play around with 1.5, 1.6 (etc.) spacing as needed.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Confluence

What's New in Confluence Cloud – November 2019 Edition

Hey community! This month we’re excited to share brand new features to help you make your mark on Confluence. If you haven’t already, check out our updates from October and September too! Expre...

10,914 views 11 30
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you