Context sensitive help as a front end user

Karen Tavares January 14, 2022

Our organization has a Confluence site for users to submit forms. I want to see if there is a way to implement context sensitive help. All I want to do is this - I have a form or a page, and I want the user to be able to click or hover over something (a link or hotspot) and pop open a box without leaving the page, and close it. 

I am a front end user only with no access to the back end (although I can edit pages). I don't need a real-time, Robohelp like solution, I would be willing to put the help text in myself. Looking for recommendations. If it can be done with CSS, it would be great to get the script. Thanks everyone!

2 answers

1 vote
Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2022

Hi @Karen Tavares Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You may try inline comment to see if that works for your requirement. This is how you can add an inline comment -

1. Highlight the text you want to comment on
  2. Choose the add comment  button that appears above the highlighted text
  3. Type your comment and choose Save (Ctrl+S or ⌘+S)

The selected text will appear with a yellow highlight indicating an inline comment; choose any highlighted text on the page to display the related comment(s).

Just like page and blog post comments, others can reply to, or like, your inline comments, and you'll be notified when they do.

0 votes
Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 14, 2022

Hey @Karen Tavares

Atlassian just announced an awesome new Help Panel they’re adding to Confluence Cloud but unfortunately, users and developers can’t add content to it… yet.

I think @Kishan Sharmasuggestion is a great one.

Laura Bridges March 14, 2024

Hey @Matt Reiner _K15t_ 

About that "awesome new Help Panel" for Confluence Cloud. It's been a few years...I don't see it. Do you have a link? Maybe I'm not searching for the right thing?

Thanks!

Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 15, 2024

Hey @Laura Bridges! You can find the panel by hitting the "?" in the upper right corner.

Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 13.57.32.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events