Content copy protection

How does an administrator copy protect original content on Confluence? I am talking about simply disabling the ability to highlight, right click, copy and paste into a document. WordPress has plugins for this feature so was wondering if there is an add on for Confluence that I'm missing. Thank you.

2 answers

Not the cleanest, and not foolproof, but it will keep the honest people honest.

1. Add a div macro and put all the copy you want protected into the div macro.
  2. Set the Class to noselect.
  3. Add a CSS Stylesheet macro with the following in the body (you could instead add this to Look and feel --> CSS):
    .noselect {
        -webkit-touch-callout: none;
        -webkit-user-select: none;
        -khtml-user-select: none;
        -moz-user-select: none;
        -ms-user-select: none;
        user-select: none;
    }

Thanks Milo, I was missing two of those in my notes.

Thank you, Milo. I'll try this out. 

I found that this can be done without the CSS Stylesheet macro or editing the Look and feel.

Simply add this to the Styles field of the Div macro:

-webkit-touch-callout: none; -webkit-user-select: none; -khtml-user-select: none; -moz-user-select: none; -ms-user-select: none; user-select: none;

image2016-10-21 10:14:48.png

0 vote

Not really.  Once the content is with the user's browser, there's not a lot you can do to stop it being replicated if the user wants.

The Wordpress plugins will stop the casual user, but they're easy to bypass.  They're like an Englishman telling you that you can't take a photograph when you're on public land - they'll politely ask you not to, and sometimes put up signs, but technically  you can ignore them and get nothing more than a disapproving stare.  Most people will be polite in return and respect it, but there's no way to stop them if they don't.

Thanks for your response, Nic. Yes, just trying to stop the casual user!

I was hoping that was the case.  I think you'll be marking Milo's answer right shortly after you do some testing. smile

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Confluence

We want to see the templates you've created in Confluence!

Hi Community, Jessica here from the Confluence Product Marketing team!  July’s community challenge is all about sharing pictures  — and as an extension of our first post on what ...

377 views 16 9
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you