Confluence won't start after move

Doug Wolfgram March 5, 2016

I moved JIRA and Confluence to a new server. I moved the databases (mysql), the app directories and after installing, also moved the installation directories. JIRA starts and runs fine. Confluence starts with no errors. I can see the process in ps -ax, but when I go to the page, I get a white screen.  

The only thing that comes to mind is that this new machine only has 1 core and 4 GB of RAM. Is that adequate to run both JIRA and Confluence? Are there any other logs I can check to see why I am getting a white screen?  

After I try to access the page, I get several instances of this in catalina.out

05-Mar-2016 19:29:13.668 WARNING [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.clearReferencesThreads The web application [ROOT] appears to have started a thread named [com.mchange.v2.async.ThreadPoolAsynchronousRunner$PoolThread-#2] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak. Stack trace of thread: java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method) com.mchange.v2.async.ThreadPoolAsynchronousRunner$PoolThread.run(ThreadPoolAsynchronousRunner.java:534)

Does this mean I am out of memory>? 

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2016

System requirements are highly dependant on your configuration and usage. We cannot ever truly say whether 4 GB of memory and 1 CPU core are sufficient because surely you could make it work to some extent. 1 CPU is also extremely unclear. Is this a Pentium 2 single core? Probably not, you likely have a VM. How is this VM configured and hosted? You understand what I mean, there's no details in your post to aid with a system recommendation.

Furthermore since you moved an installation, that means you took the JVM settings from your previous install. So the question I need to ask you is, how much memory have been set to these applications within the setenv file?

Finally, you may find more relevant information in the application logs instead of the catalina logs. I wouldn't worry about the error you posted above.

Doug Wolfgram March 6, 2016

Yes, it is a single core, 4GB installation under VMWARE. Not sure I ever set setenv. Is that required for confluence installation? I can't remember. Where are the application logs? 

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2016

If the environment settings are default, that means they are about 1GB per application. They have default values of course.

The application logs are placed in the example directory – 
<HOME> represents the home or application directory. Not the install directory.

&lt;HOME&gt;/logs/atlassian-confluence.log

eg.
/var/atlassian/application-data/confluence/logs/atlassian-confluence.log

It would be great if you could follow the file, THEN start up Confluence. Watch the log closely and consider taking a copy here to Answers or to support.

Doug Wolfgram March 6, 2016

Got it. Silly DB permissions error. All is working now. Thanks! 

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 6, 2016

Excellent! The Application Log is your best friend IMO! smile

Have a great day!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events