Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence with Reverse Proxy (IIS) and SSL?

Pierre August 20, 2017

Hello,

I'm moving our current Confluence Server from Debian to a Windows Server 2016.

I've set up a Windows SQL and the Confluence already and all works fine but I want to do it secure.

How would it be possible with Confluence and SSL over an Reverse Proxy?

I've used this Documentation for the IIS Reverse Proxy Configuration:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/kb/proxying-atlassian-server-applications-with-microsoft-internet-information-services-iis-833931378.html

Will be great if someone can help me who have already do it with an Windows Server and an IIS SSL Reverse Proxy

# Update: #

I have reinstalled the Confluence and reinstalled the IIS and I see that it doesn't work with the Reverse Proxy, I think there is a special configuration for Confluence with IIS

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 20, 2017

The knowledge base article you have found covers a standard IIS setup for terminating SSL at an IIS proxy server, so you've started at exactly the right place.

You also have exactly the right approach - get the server working so you're happy Conlfuence works.  Then get it running behind a plain http proxy, then add SSL.

So the question is where you're stuck?

Pierre August 20, 2017

Hello Nic and thanks for your response.

it looks like the confluence works now but I’ve found out that now I can’t write any pages or blogs. (Problem with the Websocket) but I’ve installed the packages for IIS 8 or above too.

Are there any other settings I need for WebSocket?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 20, 2017

Ok, that sounds like you're having problems with Synchrony, rather than the core Confluence stuff.

If you turn off "collaborative editing" in the Admin section, can you write stuff with the old-style editor?

Pierre August 21, 2017

Okay it's very weird, it works on my iPhone but not on my computer?

And without collaborative editing all works fine but it would be great to use this feature to for us.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 21, 2017

Your iPhone doesn't try to use collaborative editing, so that's not a surprise.

If Confluence is working, but the collaborative editing fails, then there is definitely something wrong with your proxy.  I'd be looking at the Synchrony and Confluence logs to see what they report as the errors, then the proxy logs to say what that says is happening.

Pierre August 21, 2017

But what can it be?

I'm using the rewrite part for the web.xml too:

<rewrite>
<rules>
<clear />
<rule name="Synchrony HTTP" stopProcessing="true">
<match url="synchrony/(.*)" />
<conditions logicalGrouping="MatchAll" trackAllCaptures="false" />
<action type="Rewrite" url="http://localhost:8091/synchrony/{R:1}" />
</rule>
<rule name="Synchrony Web Sockets Reverse Proxy" stopProcessing="true">
<match url="ws://(.*)" />
<action type="Rewrite" url="ws://localhost:8091/{R:1}" />
</rule>
<rule name="Confluence Reverse Proxy" stopProcessing="true">
<match url="(.*)" />
<action type="Rewrite" url="http://localhost:8090/{R:1}" />
</rule>
</rules>
</rewrite>
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 21, 2017

I'm still thinking it's a misconfigured proxy.  But you'll need to read the logs to get any further with working this out.

Pierre August 21, 2017

In Instance-Health Check is all green :(

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 21, 2017

And the logs?  What are they saying?

Pierre August 21, 2017

atlassian-synchrony.log:

Running QueryDSL sytem...
{"synchrony":{"message":"synchrony.querydsl.jdbc [info] connection pool test-connection-on-checkin: true idle-connection-test-period: 100 max-idle-time-excess-connections: 100 max-idle-time: 3600","ns":"synchrony.querydsl.jdbc"}}
MLog clients using slf4j logging.
Initializing c3p0-0.9.5.1 [built 16-June-2015 00:06:36 -0700; debug? true; trace: 10]
Initializing c3p0 pool... com.mchange.v2.c3p0.ComboPooledDataSource [ acquireIncrement -> 3, acquireRetryAttempts -> 30, acquireRetryDelay -> 1000, autoCommitOnClose -> false, automaticTestTable -> null, breakAfterAcquireFailure -> false, checkoutTimeout -> 0, connectionCustomizerClassName -> null, connectionTesterClassName -> com.mchange.v2.c3p0.impl.DefaultConnectionTester, contextClassLoaderSource -> caller, dataSourceName -> 1hge0w29q1ttvznuvsi2n|80a4fc9, debugUnreturnedConnectionStackTraces -> false, description -> null, driverClass -> net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver, extensions -> {}, factoryClassLocation -> null, forceIgnoreUnresolvedTransactions -> false, forceSynchronousCheckins -> false, forceUseNamedDriverClass -> false, identityToken -> 1hge0w29q1ttvznuvsi2n|80a4fc9, idleConnectionTestPeriod -> 100, initialPoolSize -> 3, jdbcUrl -> jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://localhost:1433/Confluence, maxAdministrativeTaskTime -> 0, maxConnectionAge -> 0, maxIdleTime -> 3600, maxIdleTimeExcessConnections -> 100, maxPoolSize -> 15, maxStatements -> 0, maxStatementsPerConnection -> 0, minPoolSize -> 3, numHelperThreads -> 3, preferredTestQuery -> null, privilegeSpawnedThreads -> false, properties -> {user=******, password=******, uselobs=false, prop.uselobs=false}, propertyCycle -> 0, statementCacheNumDeferredCloseThreads -> 0, testConnectionOnCheckin -> true, testConnectionOnCheckout -> false, unreturnedConnectionTimeout -> 0, userOverrides -> {}, usesTraditionalReflectiveProxies -> false ]
{"synchrony":{"message":"synchrony.middleware.memoize-response [info] request for static resource","cache-key":["0.0.0.0","/synchrony/resources/js/vendor/sockjs.min.js",null],"ns":"synchrony.middleware.memoize-response"}}
{"synchrony":{"message":"synchrony.middleware.memoize-response [info] request for static resource","cache-key":["0.0.0.0","/synchrony/resources/js/synchrony.min.js",null],"ns":"synchrony.middleware.memoize-response"}}
Pierre August 23, 2017

Hello Nic, 

I think I have found an important part. Can you say me where the web.config file is located? Because I have used everytime the web.xml file from /confluence/conf/web.xml..

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 23, 2017

Isn't it in /confluence/conf ?  I've never needed to mess with that myself.

Pierre August 25, 2017

Hey Nic,

the File was in the Directory from the IIS. I have found out that it worked with Microsoft Edge but not with Vivaldi or Google Chrome.

0 votes
Pierre August 25, 2017

Has someone using Confluence 6.3.3 with an IIS as Reverse Proxy with HTTPS, because this is very strange with an Windows Setup

Jason Plumhoff October 5, 2017

Hi Pierre,

I know this is an older thread, so you probably already have gotten this working, but since I just spent two days on and off figuring it out I wanted to post my answer here.

Our configuration is using a windows 2016 server.  We installed IIS and Confluence 6.4.1 on the same machine.  IIS was configured according to the Atlassian instructions to work as a reverse proxy with SSL.  Everything went fine until we tried editing pages, where we saw the same error you reported.  To fix it, we had to take the following steps:

1. Install websockets protocol (we followed the server 2012 procedure from this page)
  2. Opened port 8091 in our firewall.  Verified it was open by using telnet to connect to the port from another machine
  3. Added the synchrony re-write rules you listed above to the web.config file for our IIS reverse proxy site.  I just copied & pasted.  I doubt it matters, but instead of using localhost I used the actual machine name.
  4. I'm not sure this was necessary, but we also set "-Dsynchrony.proxy.enabled=false" in both the java options and set "<property name="synchrony.proxy.enabled">false</property>" in the confluence.cfg.xml file.  We had previously set this to true when we were trying to get synchrony-proxy to work, but since we decided to go the direct route I wanted to make sure our previous work didn't get in our way.
  5. Restart IIS and Confluence.

After that, we had no further issues.  I hope this helps!

Jason

brbojorque
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2018

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events