Confluence - warning about innodb_log_file_size on AWS Aurora

When running Confluence on AWS Aurora i am getting this error

Your innodb_log_file_size of 50,331,648 is too small. You should increase innodb_log_file_size to 256M.

Aurora does not allow to change this parameter.

First, is it a real problem? What could be the consequences? 

Second, is there any workaround, e.g. connection string suffix or so?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Accepted answer

Yes, you can lose writes to the database and risk crashes.

You need to increase the log file size.  Sorry, there's no other option.

But for AWS Aurora there is no way to increase this parameter

Any workaround?

Again, you need to increase the log file size.

@Jiri Pik  Did you end up finding a workaround?

yeah, workaround = Postgress

Followup on this question, has anybody actually had a problem using confluence on Aurora?  The reason I ask this is that since the db engine behind the scenes isn't actually innodb, but a customized version of innodb for Aurora, there may not actually be an issue with the "size" of the innodb log, as it may not behave the same way.  This may simply be a placeholder value that Aurora is reporting to applications that ask, and thus why the value isn't something you can change.  I don't know if this is the case, but anybody reporting if this actually IS an issue, vs. one confluence simply reports as an issue would be nice.

@Erik Brandsberg

I tried it with Atlassian's #1 implementer and it couldn't be done.  Confluence had loading issues and could not bring up add-ons.  I would recommend going with Postgress as recommend above, that's what I ended up doing.

I installed Confluence with Aurora for MySQL, and upped the max packet size to 256, and was able to install the draw.io addon, and everything is working fine, including after a restart.  This may be an issue that has been resolved at some point, or I just haven't stumbled on an addon that is large enough to cause a problem.

@Erik Brandsberg

Hello!

I am facing this same issue right now. Can you throw some light on how you were able to increase the max packet size?

Thanks!

The database parameters allows you to adjust the max packet size, but not the innodb log size.  So far, nothing has had an issue with this.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Dec 10, 2018 in Confluence

Organizing your space just got easier - Page Tree Drag & Drop is here

Hi Community! I’m Elaine, Confluence Product Manager. You may have read my earlier post about page tree in space navigation sidebar. I'm excited to share another improvement that helps you organize ...

188 views 4 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you