Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence view access restricted for logged in users, but not anonymous.

Michael Bakker September 24, 2018

We have JIRA service desk (25 licences), Confluence (10 licences) and JIRA (500 licenses).  

If I create a confluence page off of a Service Desk project, I can have anyone see it and allow "unlicensed" persons to view it even if the site is not open to anonymous.

When I create a confluence space off of a regular JIRA project, I set it up so that anonymous/unlogged in users can view the space.  I have no problem with that.  But if someone is logged into JIRA, then it says "You don't have permissions to view this page". 

I find it odd that if I have anonymous set up that logged in users can't view the page.  If I don't log in, I have no trouble viewing the confluence site.  What gives?  Am I setting something up wrong here.  I would think if I make it wide open it wouldn't matter if someone was logged in or not if they could view the page.  

I'm just trying to set up a page for users to see what is going on with the project along with some links and meeting minutes.  It would be helpful to use confluence to do this, but I don't want to have a license in confluence for each of the 500 JIRA users just to see a static, view only page - especially if they can view it when not logged in.

3 answers

0 votes
larsmgjeraker June 16, 2021

I also have this problem with our customer (Rocketfarm.no).

The space have global permission, but logged in customer can not enter the page. If they go inkognito or not logged in they have access. Strange

Atlassian bug.JPG

0 votes
Jimi Padilha April 9, 2020

Hi @Michael Bakker , how are doing? 

Did you resolve this problem? I have the same problem at moment. If you have some advice, I'll be glad

Thanks

0 votes
Gezim Shehu [Communardo]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2018

Can you check also the Global Permissions in case of any conflict?

In theory you would need to specify both, anonymous and Confluence users.

It would help if you had 1 or few Confluence groups, so you can define them also with the View permission.

Michael Bakker October 11, 2018

I have checked the global permissions.

For Unlicensed Access, I am allowing anyone to Use Confluence.  However, the notes say that it can only be enabled again through JIRA service desk.  This leads me to believe that only spaces tied to a Service Desk project allow unlicensed access.  Any space that is tied to a project that is not a service desk project does not look at the Unlicensed Access global setting.

I also have Anonymous turned on as well.  

Under licensed users, I have confluence-users listed.  However, like I stated before, this is limited to 10 individuals.  

My goal here would be to use confluence for software project in JIRA (not related to a service desk).  I just want folks to be able to see the confluence space where we put up meeting notes, links and so on.  It doesn't seem this is possible based on what I'm doing and seeing in the settings.  You would think though that this should be possible, because if I'm not logged in, it allows me to see the space (as anonymous).  Seems that if you are logged in and not a confluence user, you should at worst be treated like anonymous.  Users not logged into the system have more access than those that are logged in.  Seems a little weak here.

Gezim Shehu [Communardo]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 12, 2018

I'm running Confluence on Server and have the possibility to allow unlicensed access.

Which version are you running?

Michael Bakker October 16, 2018

We are running JIRA cloud.  The cloud only allows unlicensed access for Service Desk projects.  All other projects don't give the option - but anonymous/unlogged in users can see it.  It makes no sense to me.  I have to tell our users to log OUT of JIRA in order to see the page in Confluence.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events