Confluence user w/out being member of group 'users'?

Richard Boaz May 15, 2014

Desired Result: Granting access of a confluence user to a single document space.

In order for a user to successfully be able to log in to the system, and be able to have access to Confluence, they must be a part of the group 'users'.

However, what this means is that this individual user now has access to all of the Confluence spaces since by default, all spaces allow access to the group 'users'.

So I'm really confused as to how one goes about making one-to-one permissioning schemes between an individual user and and individual confluence space.

The way I currently understand it then, in order to achieve what I'd like, I need to:

• Add any new individual user to group 'users', otherwise they can't access Confluence
  • Then, if I want to give them access to only a single Confluence space, I need to remove group 'users' from all other spaces, remembering to do this for every new space that gets created since this access is provided at creation of a new space.

Obviously I'd prefer a different method than to have to re-configure group access for all spaces (not fully knowing the broader implications of this before-hand).

Is there something I'm missing preventing me from doing this in a straight-forward manner?

richard

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2014

Nope, this is pretty common - the default permissions don't work for people who want "can only see a few spaces"

I'm sorry, but you need to un-pick the defaults and rebuild them.

Two basic approaches:

1. Remove "confluence users" from every permission and space, replacing it with smaller and/or more dedicated groups or the individuals

2. Set up a new group called something like "can log in", put everyone in it, and add it to "can use" globally. Then, remove "confluence users" from "can use". Finally, remove your "limited" user from "confluence users" and only let them into the handful of spaces they need.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events