Confluence user session time on Docker

Normann P. Nielsen (Netic)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2022

We use https://hub.docker.com/r/atlassian/confluence-server and that is fine.

But the session time for users are too short, we used to change according to: https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/how-to-adjust-the-session-timeout-for-confluence-126910597.html

<session-config>
       <session-timeout>600</session-timeout>
       <tracking-mode>COOKIE</tracking-mode>
   </session-config>
It seems this change is not supported by the docket image? 
I assume that ATL_TOMCAT_CONNECTIONTIMEOUT is not that setting...

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Thiago Masutti
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 9, 2022

Hi @Normann P. Nielsen (Netic) 
I hope you are well.

To extend the session timeout you need to change the 3 files suggested on the KB you mentioned -- https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/how-to-adjust-the-session-timeout-for-confluence-126910597.html

On Docker, you can copy the current file and modify them locally with the needed values.

Then you can mount these individual files, similar to the following command:

docker run (...) \
-v <host-path>/tomcat-web.xml:/opt/atlassian/confluence/conf/web.xml \
-v <host-path>/confluence-web.xml:/opt/atlassian/confluence/confluence/WEB-INF/web.xml \
-v <host-path>/seraph-config.xml.xml:/opt/atlassian/confluence//confluence/WEB-INF/classes/seraph-config.xml \
--name="confluence-staging" -d -p 8090:8090 -p 8091:8091 atlassian/confluence-server:7.13.1

The caveat with it is that, on every upgrade, you need to copy the default files and apply your modification again as using these files from previous versions can introduce problems (in case modifications were applied by the development team).

I hope that helps.

Kind regards,
Thiago Masutti

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2022

Thanks for the advise; In reallity Im pretty sure only web.xml is needed.

Anyways, due to the caveats I have discarded that currently as an option..

But I do hope that the image will support this in the future, the default setting is somewhat low - 1 hour I belive, people are pretty annoyed, as we changed it to 6 hours years ago.

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 10, 2022

I have accepted the answers; in the term of "nothing rellay smart", just some obvious workarounds with caveats.. 

Thiago Masutti
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 10, 2022

Hi @Normann P. Nielsen (Netic) 

The changes on the seraph-config.xml file are important as it controls the session when the remember me cookie is used.
This is enabled by default on clustered DC, and is optional during form authentication (for Server and DC when SSO isn't used).
See Confluence Cookies for more details

I was about to open a feature, but I realized this is already a setting on the Docker image:

• ATL_AUTOLOGIN_COOKIE_AGE (default: 1209600; two weeks, in seconds)

The maximum time a user can remain logged-in with 'Remember Me'.

Kind regards,
Thiago Masutti

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 11, 2022

I went for the solution putting a copy of web.xml outside the container, as suggested by Thiago, - to stop users complaining over the short sessiton time.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events