Confluence user administration - cannot locate links to disable, delete or set password

Deleted user August 15, 2017

According to online documentation the following options should be available to administrators in User Management:

View Profile, Edit Groups, Edit Details, Set Password, Delete, Disable

However I only see the following links in my Confluence instance:

View Profile, Edit Groups, Edit Details

I would like to disable a user profile but do not see anyway to do so.  

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2017

Are your users controlled by an internal Confluence user directory or an external user directory? It sounds like you are using an external user directory if you do not see Set Password, Delete, and Disable.

Is there a way to check this?  I setup new users manually in Confluence, so I assumed it was an internal Confluence directory? 

Our Confluence instance is linked to Jira.

(I am brand new to the administrative functions of the system, so I apologize for my lack of knowledge in this area.) 

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2017

Go to User Directories under Confluence administration > Users & Security. You can have multiple directories, and when you create users it will created in the first one that is writable. This is what I have in my test environment. The first directory is controlled by JIRA.

User directories.png

You can also check which directory a user belongs to by going to their profile under Confluence administration > Users. There is an entry in there that shows which directory they belong to.

My first directory is the Jira Server/Atlassian Crowd.

So I assume I would manage my user accounts through Jira?  I tried inactivating a user in Jira and it now shows as disabled in Confluence, which is perfect. 

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 15, 2017

Yes, your user accounts in Confluence are managed via JIRA.

I have the same setup, and would recommend that you check the sync from time to time. On a couple of occations the sync between Confluenc and JIRA has failed, and I have had to create a copy of the user directory to get it working again.

Thank you very much for your replies, I do appreciate the information!

0 votes
Kinsey August 15, 2017

Under the Site Management area you should see a list of all the users in your system. Selecting one of the users should bring up their permissions/access to atlassian applications. You could uncheck Confluence in the Application Access area.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events