Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence upgrade with expired licence

Timothy Fridey July 28, 2011

Can I upgrade Confluence to a newer version that was released before our licence expired?

The upgrade guide says:

1. Confirm that your license support period is still valid before you try to upgrade.
2. If your current license has expired but you have a new license with you, please update your license in Confluence before performing the upgrade.
If you forget to do this and your license has expired, you will receive errors during the upgrade process.

But why shouldn't I be able to upgrade to a version that was released when our licence was valid?

Note: We only need to upgrade so that we can migrate one wiki into anouther.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Michael S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 4, 2011

You're able to upgrade to any version that was released before your license expired. One thing to be aware of if you're upgrading to a version pre 2.10.4 is that we updated a bunch of our old versions to remove 3rd party code, the license can sometimes be tripped up on this as technically they may have been released after your license expired (see: http://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/ArchiveConfluenceDownloads.jspa).

If this is the case for you, you're best off creating an evaluation license for the upgrade.

Cheers,
Michael

Richard A. Ehlinger July 14, 2015

Hey Michael, So can I get an evaluation license for my issue(see the rest of this thread? Or is it as Nic says, it's ok to upgrade with an expired license as long as it was after 13 March 2014(and it was), and so don't worry about? Thanks, Rick

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2011

Yes, in theory, you should, but as the manual says, it does throw errors into the log file.

As you're only using it temporarily though, I'd simply use a developer license from the Confluence you are moving into (assuming that is licensed? If not, then you could try an evaluation license)

0 votes

Here is my issue.  I have a clustered install of 4.3.1.  The license expired on June 30th 2015.  Atlassian will not give me either a temporary license nor sell me a clustered license, but says I must buy Data Center license, as this is the new cluster software.  That's fine.  But I am in the middle of an upgrade from 4.3.1 to 5.4.4(the old cluster software).  I have already upgraded development and staging environments to 5.4.4 when the license was still valid.  Can I finish my upgrade to 5.4.4 in production with an expired license?  

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2015

Was your licence valid after 13th March 2014? If it was, then the answer is "yes", you can do the upgrade.

Thanks Nic. It was valid until June 30th, 2015. The thing that worries me are the errors in the log files. For those of us who know how to turn logging on and off, more and less, in the GUI, it's better to keep the chaff minimal. But I'd hate like hell to not have enough logging and miss some critical fact. I do have a qual instance that is still 4.3.1, so I will do the upgrade there first and then prepare for production.

0 votes
Jim Birch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2011

If you only need a couple of users, buy a 10 user license for $10.

As a sweetener, the $10 is donated to Room to Read :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events