Confluence templates variables don't work

I can't seem to be able to make variables in a template in Confluence. I can't seem to find how to make variables in the system. Where can I find a how to enable variables?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Accepted answer

In my case the "Create variable" option is automatically highlighted and so a click on the space key will also do and have the same effect. All you have to avoid is to mouse click somewhere else because this will remove the highlighting and then you get "nothing".

Hello,

I don't know if I understand your question correctly because to me it seems so easy and self-explanatory:

Create a template:

• Browse > Templates > Add new space template

Add variables:

• Type the dollar sign plus the name of the variable that you want to create plus the space key or
  • Click on "$ Variables v" from the top menu

Perhaps you can be more specific about where you get stuck?

Steffen; thank you for your answer; the problem is when I type the $ or select it nothing happens. I should be able to see a drop down like this: https://confluence.atlassian.com/download/attachments/296093779/Template_edit.png?version=4&modificationDate=1363747479635&api=v2

The problem is I don't see that!

I don't see that drop down list either and my page looks quite different from the screenshot. And sometimes I also type $ plus something and it won't convert it into a variable. So I also thought I made something wrong but then suddenly it all worked.

Just a guess:
You could have a look at "Settings > Your settings: Editor" and see if you have disabled Autocomplete and/or Autoformatting.

Ha, found it. What I should do is type $putnamehere and then simply click on Create variable. Tsss, UID could do better...

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Oct 24, 2018 in Confluence

Atlassian Research opportunity with Confluence templates

Do you use templates with Confluence? Take part in a remote 1-hr workshop. You'll receive USD $100 for your time!   We're looking for people to participate in a   remote 1-hr workshop...

1,088 views 17 14
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you