Confluence staging environment won't get past login

Chris Schulte June 26, 2020

I created a staging platform for confluence using these instructions (https://confluence.atlassian.com/conf75/create-a-staging-environment-for-upgrading-confluence-1004947887.html) to test the latest update. I've done this before with no problem.

When I go to it, there is the typical login to enter username and password. I enter these and it looks like it's loading, but it just blanks out the page. I know it's recognizing it because if I enter a wrong username of password, I get an error. 

Does anyone know where I can track down what's going on? I don't see anything in catalina.out or catalina.<date>.log.

Thanks,

Chris

4 answers

0 votes
licensing June 30, 2021

We have encountered the same Problem.

Our solution was to fix the connector settings in server.xml since we used an URI that was not reachable. Since our staging confluence accepted the login, it would redirect to the configured URI, that was not existing.

after we corrected our proxy and DNS settings everything worked fine.

Our production ran under https://confluence.internal.domain. Staging was meant to be at https://confluence-test.internal.domain. Unfortunately "confluence-test" was NXDOMAIN and our Proxy Settings had no host config for confluence-test.

hth

0 votes
charleslcso October 24, 2020

My instance of production Confluence is using Crowd, so the staging Confluence will also use Crowd.

It happens that Crowd Application only accept IP address from Production server. 

Try adding the IP address of the Staging to Crowd.

It works for me.

0 votes
Henrik Juel Petersen September 16, 2020

Did you ever find a solution to this?

I get an error msg when im using a wrong password.

But using the correct one, always just reloads the login page, nothing else. Even with the recovery_admin login.

/Henrik

Chris Schulte September 16, 2020

Not really, at least not where I could say that I have a solution.

I eventually gave up and just ran the update on the production environment. When there were new updates for both Jira and Confluence, I rsynced -av the environments to the staging server, loaded the current database, and tried again.

This time, neither of the scripts in /opt/atlassian could read /var/atlassian/application-data. I eventually deleted all of the atlassian files, made sure that all directories that they were in had global read and wright privileges, rebuilt the evaluations, and tried again.

That worked. I guess the answer is to trash everything and keep trying until it just works.

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 3, 2020

Hello Chris,

Thank you for raising this with us. Does this happen for all users, or is this the only user on the site?

I would recommend instead of looking at the Catalina.out logs, have a look at the Confluence Server logs and see if you can find any hints about what might be happening.

You can also try to Recover Admin rights and see if that helps you get in.

Let me know how that goes!

Shannon

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events