Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence, slow and many startup errors

Peter June 3, 2014

Hello,

I am running 5.3.4, and when the app starts, I have errors such as these:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/ServletContext

at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredMethods0(Native Method)

at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredMethods(Class.java:2531)

at java.lang.Class.privateGetPublicMethods(Class.java:2651)

at java.lang.Class.getMethods(Class.java:1467)

Which should prevent it from working I would expect, and these:

2014-06-03 19:04:18,623 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] [com.atlassian.confluence.lifecycle] contextInitialized Starting Confluence 5.3.4 [build 4532 based on commit hash e44e912a19b4356578af38c61df778d5fda2d014]

Exception in thread "ThreadPoolAsyncTaskExecutor::Thread 5" org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'handler' defined in URL [bundle://27.0:0/META-INF/spring/web-context.xml]: Initialization of bean failed; nested exception is java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/ServletContext

at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:480)

at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory$1.run(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:409)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

There were other errors such as JSP compilation or other problems, with Soy ...
I have not gone too far into this, should I try a re-install ?
Thanks,
Peter

2 answers

0 votes
Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 4, 2014

Hi Peter,

I believe that the Soy renderer might be having some problems as we can see in this KB.

The Kb is not the same behaviour but it's similar. I recommend to check the KB and try to reset the plugins to default as well.

Cheers,

Rodrigo

Peter June 5, 2014

Eduardo's suggestion above fixed all issues - thanks for your help.

0 votes
Mallmann
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 4, 2014

Hey Peter,

Could you confirm which Apache Tomcat version you are using?

Also, have a look on the following link to be sure that you are running your instance with the right java, tomcat and database versions: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONF53/Supported+Platforms

Best regards,

Eduardo Mallmann

Atlassian Support

Peter June 4, 2014

Hi Eduardo,

Java version is 1.7.0_51 and it is running on Tomcat 7. I have Jira running without issue on the same server. MySQL is the latest version as well ... so thinking it is solely a Confluence issue -- you tell me.

Peter

Mallmann
Atlassian Team
June 4, 2014

Hey Peter,

I see. Well, Tomcat 7 is not supported for your current Confluence version, so I'd recommend you to downgrade your Tomcat to version 6.

The following answer thread is related to a similar issue, with very similar error messages you are facing: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/66628/weird-classnotfoundexception-during-startup-of-osgi-bundles

He was running Tomcat 7 with a Confluence version that did not support Tomcat 7. When he downgraded to Tomcat 6 the error messages stopped.

Please, let me know if it fixes your issue as well.

Best regards,

Eduardo Mallmann

Atlassian Support

Peter June 5, 2014

Eduardo,

Great suggestion - put it on Tomcat 6 and no issues, faster and no errors !

Now ... what is the easiest way to upgrade to the latest version ?

Mallmann
Atlassian Team
June 5, 2014

Hey Peter,

That's awesome! :)

Well, before jumping to the standard procedures to perform an upgrade, we suggest the users to check the plugin compatibility with the next versions to avoid further issues. Having that in mind, you can start the upgrade process by following the standard procedures:

1. Go to http://atlassian.comand download Confluence.

2. Extract the zip/tar.gz file of the latest version of Confluence on the place you choose.

3. Into the extracted folder, open the file confluence-init.properties, which is located at <confluence-install-folder>\confluence\web-inf\classes and edit the line: confluence.home=/usr/local/confluence/home to point to the path where your old home folder of your Confluence current version is.

4. Now start Confluence through your new installation folder.

We also have a documentation about the procedures: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Upgrading+Confluence

Hope it helps :)

Best regards,

Eduardo Mallmann

Atlassian Support

Peter June 6, 2014

I performed the upgrade and it went well. Now, for setting up mail - set it up per my provider - and I still get mail errors when sending test message:

An error has occurred with sending the test email:

com.atlassian.mail.MailException: javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: mail.noip.com, port: 587;

nested exception is:

java.net.SocketException: Network is unreachable

at com.atlassian.confluence.jmx.JmxSMTPMailServer.doSendWithMessageIdSupport

Peter June 7, 2014

Also, with the version before the upgrade and now after, I am not able to connect to the Marketplace - could this be related to mail - some connectivity issue from Confluence ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2014

Both those problems suggest that Confluence is on a machine that cannot reach the network it's supposed to be connected to

"Network is unreachable" really does mean "I can't reach a network to talk to", and not being able to reach the marketplace is probably the same problem.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events