Confluence shows stale page after publish?

Ben Johnson September 13, 2019

Sometimes when I publish changes to a page in the new editing experience, the browser redirects to showing the view mode of the page, but the old version of the page is shown instead of my latest changes. I have to refresh the page again to get the latest changes. Is anyone else experiencing this too?

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 16, 2019

Hello Ben,

Thanks for reporting an issue with Confluence’s new editor which is causing stale pages to display after making edits. We would be interested to understand a bit more in an attempt to recreate this issue on our end. Please let us know the following:

1. Could you please let us know all the steps you take when this occurs?
  2. Does the “last updated” timestamp reflect your recent updates with this or does it display the old last updated?
  3. Can you let us know how many users are seeing this behavior within your instance?

We look forward to hearing back to help find the cause of your stale page loads within Confluence.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Ben Johnson September 17, 2019

1. The steps are pretty simple, and are simply the main flow for editing a page and publishing it. Click Edit, make changes, Click Publish, see stale page, refresh page, see updates.

2. The "last updated" timestamp is also stale and shows the same value seen before I started editing.

3. At least 3 others on my team have experienced the same issue, so it's not just me.

Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 19, 2019

Hello Ben,

Thanks for letting us know your workflow. I attempted to recreate the issue within the new Confluence editor and was unable to do so. I used Google chrome and attempted a few different page edits and including a page with over 400,000 characters.

Is there another browser you may be using or something common within the pages which always display stale content?

Something else to test would be a different browser to see if the same behavior is present along with also testing on a mobile device. This would allow us to see if the issue is either on the client-side or on the hosted side.

We look forward to hearing back to help find the cause of your stale pages.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Ben Johnson September 19, 2019

I do use Google Chrome (up to date), but I'd be hesitant to switch over to another browser to test, since it's not that big of a deal.

I don't think that it has much to do with the size of the page, since I just noticed it happen with a smaller size page.

I also noticed today a different kind of staleness, where the page content is up to date, but the date at the top reflects the old date it was last modified.

Lastly, I was wondering if there was any debugging information I could provide? I'm a web developer and am familiar using chrome developer tools.

Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
September 24, 2019

Hello Ben,

Thanks for the follow-up information. After discussing this with the team we want to attempt a few steps that have been reported to work elsewhere for similar issues. With the recent changes to the editor in Confluence, there may be an issue in the way Chrome is storing the cached content of the page and is doing a lazy refresh when saved. 

We’ve found that clearing out your Chrome cache does help with this as it will stop attempting a lazy refresh of pages due to lack of cache. For more information on clearing cache, please see Clear cache & cookies (You only need to clear cache, you may leave your cookies.)

If the issue persists, ensure Chrome does not have any lazy load features enabled, to check this end the following into the URL field:

1. chrome://flags/#enable-lazy-image-loading
    1. Ensure enable lazy image loading is disabled
    2. Ensure enable lazy frame loading is disabled.
  2. Once done, close out the browser completely and re-open.

Please let us know if these above steps help to resolve your stale page load issues.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Ben Johnson September 24, 2019

I'm not sure how clearing out my Chrome cache would be a helpful step, unless I cleared the cache every time, right before clicking publish, since the issue manifests itself by showing stale content of the last version of the page. This is then remedied by refreshing the page. Maybe I don't understand how Chrome caches content, so I'll just clear my cache anyways.

I've also set the lazy loading options to disabled, and restarted.

I'll report back later if I see any more of the stale behavior. Thanks. 

Ben Johnson September 30, 2019

After taking the steps above, I'm still seeing the weird stale behavior at different times. It sounds like those chrome settings didn't help. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events