Confluence sending multiple emails

Chris Prendergast January 28, 2016

When a change is made to a page multiple emails get sent regarding the same change. Has anyone seen this or had to fix this issue?

Chris

4 answers

1 vote
Milo Test
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2016

I used to see this, and it was because I have a regular and admin account both pointing to the same email address. I don't get dupes any more so I assume IT made a change to the Outlook server, which might be a solution for you as well.

0 votes
Giles B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 9, 2016

Hi Chris,

Do you have an example of when this is happening? It might be if two notifications are fired for one comment, like in the case of a comment on a watched page, which also mentions you. In that case, you'd get two notifications.

We're currently working on removing these multiple notifications and making them smarter, so keep an eye out for changes in that area soon.

Andrew Snyder May 26, 2016

@Giles Brunning - Do you have an update on this?  Confluence just went live at my company, and I am an administrator.  Many users are complaining about this issue.  Do you have any suggestions to help mitigate the problem?  

Giles B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 29, 2016

Hi Andrew,

We've rolled out batched notifications to Confluence Cloud, and they should land in version 5.10 of Server. To be transparent, this doesn't cover all of the multiple email scenarios—you'll still get two emails if someone mentions you when creating a page or making a comment—but it does batch things like comment and edit notifications.

The standard batch window for Server is 10 minutes, and sys admins will be able to configure that window.

Andrew Snyder May 31, 2016

Thanks for the update, @Giles Brunning.  The batch email feature would be a helpful improvement.  However, if users will still receive 2 emails when they are tagged in a comment on a page that they watch, the batch email feature won't address the issue that our users have been complaining about. Is there any work being done to address that particular issue, or is there a ticket that I can sign up to watch?  Thanks!

Giles B
Atlassian Team
June 7, 2016

Hey Andrew, unfortunately I don't think anyone's focused on batching mentions in pages and comments at the moment, but you can always make a suggestion so others can watch, comment, and vote on it.

0 votes
Milo Test
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2016

That's a good point: I don't see it in 5.8.9, but pretty sure I did in 5.7.4.

0 votes
Chii
Atlassian Team
January 28, 2016

which version of confluence?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events