Confluence security: how to limit users' ability to edit page, yet maintain 'Edit in Office'?

claire.simonson@ci.stpaul.mn.us April 19, 2012

I have tried different settings in space admin and page restrictions, also tweaking user and group permissions. It seems that ability to add a page (space admin) also controls whether the Edit in Office link appears for attachments on that page. Has anyone been able to provide editable attachments and at the same time disallow general users from editing the page layout?

1 answer

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2012

A simple workaround will be to define the layout in one page (which has restrictions) and use the attachments from another page which general users can keep adding newer versions of attachements.

claire.simonson@ci.stpaul.mn.us April 22, 2012

Please give me an example of what you mean by "use the attachments from another page." The Attachments macro only applies to the current page. I have tried the 'include' macro to display another page's contents, but the tighter restrictions always seem to dominate --the attachment list on the included page no longer has 'Edit in Office' available when it displays in the more-restricted page. Thanks!

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2012

What I understood was that you need to maintain the page layout by restricting the users from editing the page, at the same time allow them to upload attachments.

The solution was, let's say Page A is the restricted one and you need to use an attachment from Page B (unrestricted). The {viewfile} macro of course accepts the page name, in this case it will be Page B

claire.simonson@ci.stpaul.mn.us April 22, 2012

That's still not what I need: it displays the contents of a single doc within another page. What I am looking for is a way to present a list of Attachments with Add Attachments, Properties and Edit in Office available as options, but disallow the Edit button that lets users edit the page layout. I want the page structure to be locked, but the attachments to be editable. I hope that's clear!

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 23, 2012

See, it is directly not possible, as restricting the page permissions limits attachment and editing in office also. I was looking at workarounds for this.

I was of the impression that you wanted to display the documents attached and hence mentioned viewfile. If your aim is to just show the attachments, similar strategy again, show the attachments from Page B using {attachment} macro. And the gear box botton that comes in the list of attachment buttons indeed shows Edit in office.

See sample at

https://regyinc.atlassian.net/wiki/display/TEST/Page+A

https://regyinc.atlassian.net/wiki/display/TEST/Page+B

claire.simonson@ci.stpaul.mn.us April 23, 2012

Thanks for continuing to look at this - Page A looks like it might be the answer, but my understanding of the {attachments} macro is that it only displays att's from the current page. I've experimented a bit with {include} and {excerpt include} but none of those look exactly like what you are showing. I see that Page B is less restricted and holds the attachment; Page A includes a view of Page B's attachment list (including the gear tool)

Can you send a screenshot of the page in edit/layout mode so I can see what you're using? thanks!

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 23, 2012

No, attachments macro allows to refer to attachments from other pages as well.

Screenshot at https://regyinc.atlassian.net/wiki/display/TEST/Screenshots

claire.simonson@ci.stpaul.mn.us April 23, 2012

thanks for screenshot. I don't see where to specify space or page when I select the Attachments macro from the macro browser. The "Insert 'Attachments' Macro dialog says: "Creates a list of attachments belonging to this page", then prompts for Filename Patterns / Include Old Attachment Versions / Sort by: / Allow Upload. (I wish I could send you the screen grab -- maybe I don't have the macro you're referring to--? We're on Confluence version 4.0)

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 23, 2012

Oh yes, that's the issue. This parameter for attachment macro is new in Confluence 4.1.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events