cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence refuses to start

Bora Aydemir April 4, 2018

My Confluence server refuses to start. 

The  atlassian-confluence.log file has the below entry:

2018-04-04 10:54:05,180 ERROR [AtlassianEvent::CustomizableThreadFactory-7] erNamesWithConfluenceAccess Found USE permission with no associated username or groupconfluence.macro.browser.DefaultMacroMetadataManager] buildMacroMetadata Error getting data from MacroMetadataProvider,
org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.ServiceProxyDestroyedException: service proxy has been destroyed
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.support.internal.aop.ServiceDynamicInterceptor$ServiceLookUpCallback.doWithRetry(ServiceDynamicInterceptor.java:102)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.support.internal.support.RetryTemplate.execute(RetryTemplate.java:81)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.support.internal.aop.ServiceDynamicInterceptor.lookupService(ServiceDynamicInterceptor.java:448)

5 answers

0 votes
Benjamin Yu January 14, 2021

Here are 3 solutions:

Resolution 1
Ideally, both the Database and Home Directory should be restored to a point before the failed upgrade attempt if possible. Once this has been done, ensure that the build number shown in the Database and the Home Directory are the same.

Resolution 2
If restoring to a point is not possible, manually set the build numbers back to the lower value of the two. For example, If the Home Directory shows 4215, and the Database shows 3289, the Home Directory should be set to 3289, and then perform the upgrade should be attempted again. This will trigger all upgrade tasks that are in between the Confluence version that the database is using and the version of the installation files that are being upgraded to, as well as upgrading the Database and the Home Directory. To change the value in the Database, delete any entries that have a build number higher than the version in your home directory:

Under no circumstances should one remove all rows/version information from the conf version table

delete from confversion where buildnumber > YOUR_HOME_DIRECTORY_BUILD_NUMBER
To alter the Home Directory's build number, simply edit the <confluence_home_directory>/confluence.cfg.xml file.

Resolution 3
If you are running an Oracle database and note that the confluence.cfg.xml file contains the upgraded database build number, but the Table CONFVERSION shows the row similar to the example below

4560123456 6441 2017-07-04 06:01:42.54 Locked for version upgrade to 7201

As this involved modification to the database, you are strongly advised to create a backup of your database prior to modification

You can correct this issue manually by running queries to correct the problem:

UPDATE CONFVERSION SET VERSIONTAG = NULL WHERE CONFVERSIONID = 4560123456; UPDATE CONFVERSION SET BUILDNUMBER = 7201 WHERE CONFVERSIONID = 4560123456;
PLEASE REMEMBER TO COMMIT THE CHANGES (Oracle requires the changes to be committed before they are accepted)

This will result in the table being modified as below in this example:

4560123456 7201 2017-07-04 06:01:42.54

Restart the Confluence application, login and verify that the system is functional.

As a precaution, shutdown Confluence, then restart the instance to verify that the fix is working post-restart. This ensures that your change was committed to the Oracle database.

Once this change has been made, the system should start without issue.

0 votes
Lorrine Schaffer-Underwood January 14, 2021

Hello, were you able to resolve your issue after upgrading? We are currently experiencing the same issue. I thank you for a reply. 

0 votes
Darío Díez October 4, 2019

Good morning,

I have the same problem, I would like to migrate from an instance to another, but in the target I get a similar error:

ERROR [AtlassianEvent::CustomizableThreadFactory-1] [confluence.macro.browser.DefaultMacroMetadataManager] buildMacroMetadata Error getting data from MacroMetadataProvider,
java.lang.NullPointerException

The browser shows the following error:

ConfluenceError.png

Can anyone help us?

Thank you in advance.

Benjamin Yu December 5, 2019

I have the same issue while upgrading from v5.5 to v7. How to fix it?

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 4, 2018

Bora,

Could you try to clear your plugin cache and see if that corrects the issue?

If not, can you please tell us your Confluence version, and if it was upgraded or migrated recently that would cause this issue?

The error messages you sent seem to be clipped a bit and missing information, so please can you provide further errors, and include any "caused by" lines as well? 

Regards,

Shannon

I tried removing plugin directories. Didn't help.

I have replied to Suren Raj's comment. I didn't want to repeat the same info and cause more noise.

Below is the log with more detail:

2018-04-04 10:53:56,784 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] [com.atlassian.confluence.lifecycle] init Confluence is ready to serve
2018-04-04 10:54:02,563 INFO [localhost-startStop-3] [atlassian.plugin.manager.DefaultPluginManager] shutdown Preparing to shut down the plugin system
2018-04-04 10:54:02,573 INFO [localhost-startStop-3] [atlassian.plugin.manager.DefaultPluginManager] shutdown Shutting down the plugin system
2018-04-04 10:54:04,180 INFO [read-only-transaction:thread-1] [atlassian.confluence.user.DefaultUserAccessor] getUserNamesWithConfluenceAccess Found USE permission with no associated username or group: [USECONFLUENCE,0,null,null,null]
2018-04-04 10:54:05,180 ERROR [AtlassianEvent::CustomizableThreadFactory-7] [confluence.macro.browser.DefaultMacroMetadataManager] buildMacroMetadata Error getting data from MacroMetadataProvider,
org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.ServiceProxyDestroyedException: service proxy has been destroyed
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.support.internal.aop.ServiceDynamicInterceptor$ServiceLookUpCallback.doWithRetry(ServiceDynamicInterceptor.java:102)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.support.internal.support.RetryTemplate.execute(RetryTemplate.java:81)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.support.internal.aop.ServiceDynamicInterceptor.lookupService(ServiceDynamicInterceptor.java:448)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.support.internal.aop.ServiceDynamicInterceptor.getTarget(ServiceDynamicInterceptor.java:410)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.support.internal.aop.ServiceInvoker.invoke(ServiceInvoker.java:60)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:179)
at org.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.doProceed(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:133)
at org.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.invoke(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:121)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:179)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.util.internal.aop.ServiceTCCLInterceptor.invokeUnprivileged(ServiceTCCLInterceptor.java:70)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.util.internal.aop.ServiceTCCLInterceptor.invoke(ServiceTCCLInterceptor.java:53)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.support.LocalBundleContextAdvice.invoke(LocalBundleContextAdvice.java:57)
at org.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.doProceed(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:133)
at org.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.invoke(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:121)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:208)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy581.getApplicationLinks(Unknown Source)
at com.atlassian.gadgets.renderer.internal.http.AppLinksWhitelist.appLinks(AppLinksWhitelist.java:32)
at com.atlassian.gadgets.renderer.internal.http.AppLinksWhitelist.allows(AppLinksWhitelist.java:27)
at com.atlassian.gadgets.renderer.internal.http.DelegatingWhitelist$WhitelistAllows.apply(DelegatingWhitelist.java:44)
at com.atlassian.gadgets.renderer.internal.http.DelegatingWhitelist$WhitelistAllows.apply(DelegatingWhitelist.java:36)
at com.google.common.collect.Iterators.indexOf(Iterators.java:778)
at com.google.common.collect.Iterators.any(Iterators.java:684)
at com.google.common.collect.Iterables.any(Iterables.java:623)
at com.atlassian.gadgets.renderer.internal.http.DelegatingWhitelist.allows(DelegatingWhitelist.java:29)
at com.atlassian.gadgets.renderer.internal.http.HttpClientFetcher.fetch(HttpClientFetcher.java:68)
at org.apache.shindig.gadgets.DefaultMessageBundleFactory.fetchBundle(DefaultMessageBundleFactory.java:138)
at org.apache.shindig.gadgets.DefaultMessageBundleFactory.getNestedBundle(DefaultMessageBundleFactory.java:111)
at org.apache.shindig.gadgets.DefaultMessageBundleFactory.getBundle(DefaultMessageBundleFactory.java:79)
at org.apache.shindig.gadgets.variables.VariableSubstituter.substitute(VariableSubstituter.java:47)
at com.atlassian.gadgets.renderer.internal.GadgetSpecFactoryImpl.getGadgetSpec(GadgetSpecFactoryImpl.java:127)
at com.atlassian.gadgets.renderer.internal.GadgetSpecFactoryImpl.getGadgetSpec(GadgetSpecFactoryImpl.java:83)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:302)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.support.internal.aop.ServiceInvoker.doInvoke(ServiceInvoker.java:56)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.support.internal.aop.ServiceInvoker.invoke(ServiceInvoker.java:60)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.util.internal.aop.ServiceTCCLInterceptor.invokeUnprivileged(ServiceTCCLInterceptor.java:70)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.util.internal.aop.ServiceTCCLInterceptor.invoke(ServiceTCCLInterceptor.java:53)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.support.LocalBundleContextAdvice.invoke(LocalBundleContextAdvice.java:57)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:208)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy1891.getGadgetSpec(Unknown Source)
at com.atlassian.confluence.plugins.gadgets.metadata.GadgetsMacroMetadataProvider.getGadgetSpecs(GadgetsMacroMetadataProvider.java:208)
at com.atlassian.confluence.plugins.gadgets.metadata.GadgetsMacroMetadataProvider.getMacroMetadata(GadgetsMacroMetadataProvider.java:95)
at com.atlassian.confluence.plugins.gadgets.metadata.CachingGadgetsMacroMetadataProvider.loadOnMiss(CachingGadgetsMacroMetadataProvider.java:182)
at com.atlassian.confluence.plugins.gadgets.metadata.CachingGadgetsMacroMetadataProvider.lambda$getData$1(CachingGadgetsMacroMetadataProvider.java:141)
at com.atlassian.vcache.internal.core.metrics.TimedSupplier.get(TimedSupplier.java:32)
at com.atlassian.vcache.internal.legacy.LegacyJvmCache.lambda$get$4(LegacyJvmCache.java:52)
at java.util.Optional.orElseGet(Optional.java:267)
at com.atlassian.vcache.internal.legacy.LegacyJvmCache.get(LegacyJvmCache.java:50)
at com.atlassian.vcache.internal.core.metrics.TimedLocalCacheOperations.get(TimedLocalCacheOperations.java:64)
at com.atlassian.confluence.plugins.gadgets.metadata.CachingGadgetsMacroMetadataProvider.getData(CachingGadgetsMacroMetadataProvider.java:141)
at com.atlassian.confluence.macro.browser.DefaultMacroMetadataManager.buildMacroMetadata(DefaultMacroMetadataManager.java:144)
at com.atlassian.confluence.macro.browser.DefaultMacroMetadataManager.onPluginFrameworkStartedEvent(DefaultMacroMetadataManager.java:72)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at com.atlassian.event.internal.SingleParameterMethodListenerInvoker.invoke(SingleParameterMethodListenerInvoker.java:36)
at com.atlassian.confluence.event.ConfluenceListenerHandlersConfiguration$TimingListenerHandler$1$1.invoke(ConfluenceListenerHandlersConfiguration.java:69)
at com.atlassian.confluence.event.ConfluenceEventDispatcher$VCacheRequestContextRunnableFactory$1.lambda$run$0(ConfluenceEventDispatcher.java:93)
at com.atlassian.confluence.vcache.VCacheRequestContextOperations.lambda$doInRequestContext$0(VCacheRequestContextOperations.java:50)
at com.atlassian.confluence.impl.vcache.VCacheRequestContextManager.doInRequestContextInternal(VCacheRequestContextManager.java:87)
at com.atlassian.confluence.impl.vcache.VCacheRequestContextManager.doInRequestContext(VCacheRequestContextManager.java:71)
at com.atlassian.confluence.vcache.VCacheRequestContextOperations.doInRequestContext(VCacheRequestContextOperations.java:49)
at com.atlassian.confluence.event.ConfluenceEventDispatcher$VCacheRequestContextRunnableFactory$1.run(ConfluenceEventDispatcher.java:93)
at com.atlassian.confluence.event.ConfluenceEventDispatcher$1.run(ConfluenceEventDispatcher.java:61)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

kconti November 2, 2018

Hello, was there a resolution to this?

I'm getting these same exact messages when trying to move a copy of our Confluence vm from CentOS 6 to CentOS7.  Database has been created and imported from a dump.  Copied home and install directories.  I believe permissions are good.

It is also showing me that I do not have permissions to view the ticket link that was created for this above.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 votes
Suren Raj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 4, 2018

Hi, Bora

We would like to enquire some information from you in order for us to understand your situation better.
# May I know did you upgrade Confluence recently?
# Did you encounter any problem after upgrading Confluence?
# Is this your first time encountering such issue?
# Did you perform any changes or modifications on your system configurations or settings lately?
# May I know what did you see in the browser?

On the other hand, could you please try and clear your plugin cache?
# Shutdown your Confluence
# Ensure the user running Confluence has full read/write privileges to the {<Confluence-Home>} directory.
# Remove the following directories:
#* {{<confluence-home>/bundled-plugins}}
#* {{<confluence-home>/plugins-cache}}
#* {{<confluence-home>/plugins-osgi-cache}}
#* {{<confluence-home>/plugins-temp}}
#* {{<confluence-home>/bundled-plugins_language}}
Note: This will remove the plugin cache files only and will not remove any plugins permanently. These directories will be recreated during the next Confluence startup. However, we recommend creating a temporary backup of the directories.
# Start you Confluence

I did not upgrade Confluence. I have 6.0.6. 

We have been using Confluence for a few years. We did not have any problems before.

I wanted to change the backup directory, so I changed the "admin.ui.allow.daily.backup.custom.location" parameter to true in the file confluence.cfg.xml. Then try to restart, but it failed. I reverted the parameter value to false. But it didn't help.

I tried removing plugin directories. Didn't help.

Yesterday I was changing user permissions and as I remember I may have given admin user general permissions for spaces. The log has an error line 

"getUserNamesWithConfluenceAccess Found USE permission with no associated username or group: [USECONFLUENCE,0,null,null,null]"

I believe it has something to do with admin user permissions. 

I have database access I can edit data if necessary

Suren Raj
Atlassian Team
April 4, 2018

Hi, Bora.

We have created a support ticket for you, please refer to the below link:

https://getsupport.atlassian.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/14/CSP-225956

One of our SE will contact you soon regarding this issue via support ticket.

Hi Suren,

I can't access the link.  The message says "You do not have permission to view this request."

Hi Suren 

I'm getting a message from Igor Muzaliov (Atlassian Support EMEA) but I cant' access the link: https://getsupport.atlassian.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/14/CSP-225956

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events