Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence proxy for web access

Grant Carter Moore September 29, 2016

Hi ALL,

Please could I get some help? Please bear in mind I am by no means an expert on this subject so a dumbed down guide would be very helpful. I am trying to setup proxy server settings in Conflunece I believe this needs to be done on the JAVA side but Atlassian support cant help with this apparently its not supported as its JAVA..... 

Anyway any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Grant

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2016

A proxy sits between a server and a client, passing network traffic, and there are loads of reasons for using them.  Your question, while totally understandable, actually doesn't tell us enough about what you're trying to do with the proxy.  That will need clarifying before we can help you much!

So, are you:

• trying to set up a proxy server to serve up confluence stuff
  • trying to reach a confluence behind a proxy
  • trying to get confluence to talk to another system through a proxy
Grant Carter Moore September 29, 2016

Hi Nick,

Apologies. I would like Confluence to gain external internet access via our internal proxy server. This requirement has come to light as we would like to use the Twitter macro embedded into our site. Now our Confluence server does not have direct access to the internet, so the macro is currently not working.

Thank you for your time.

Kind Regards, Grant

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2016

Ok, great.   Sorry I had to ask for clarification, but I wasn't quite getting which one it was!

This isn't strictly a Confluence question, as Confluence is an "application" that runs within an application server.  The application itself doesn't usually have any network access (unless it's network related software!) it relies on the application server to do all of the work.  Confluence is almost always run on Tomcat, so we need to make Tomcat aware of the outgoing proxy.

Although Atlassian don't directly support it, they've documented it, and this generally works - https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/configuring-web-proxy-support-for-confluence-117068.html - start with a run through that, and tell us if you get stuck or don't get what it's telling you.

Roman Kirilenko
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2016

According to Oracle docs you need to pass two parameters to your JVM:

-Dhttp.proxyHost=webcache.example.com -Dhttp.proxyPort=8080

Do you need to use authorization on the proxy side?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events