Confluence profiles - can you restrict viewing from some users?

Hi. Got a query about Confluence.

We want to set up some spaces in our Confluence instance for external staff that we work with. We will restrict the rest of the platform from them, so they will only be able to see the pages we want them to. However, one concern raised is that they will always be able to view all users' profiles. This will allow them to see private information such as e-mails, and job titles. Is there any way that we would be able to restrict this profile area from these external users, so that they can only see the space(s) we permit them to, but not any user profiles? Thanks, Tim

2 answers

1 accepted

Hallo Tim

Adding to Joseph's answer: the email addresses need not be visible to Confluence users. The Confluence administrator can configure Confluence to mask the email addresses, or make them visible to administrators only. Here's the documentation:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/User+Email+Visibility

I hope this helps a little with the problem.

Cheers, Sarah

Thanks Sarah, that may well be an effective workaround solution.

Tim

0 votes
Joe Clark Atlassian Team Jan 17, 2012

Hi Tim,

Sorry to say that the "view user profiles" permission can currently only be turned on/off for Anonymous users.

There is an open feature request to implement modifying permissions for user profile viewing: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-1134

Joe.

Thanks for your answer, Joe. I'll certainly add my requst to that open feature request.

Tim

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Oct 24, 2018 in Confluence

Atlassian Research opportunity with Confluence templates

Do you use templates with Confluence? Take part in a remote 1-hr workshop. You'll receive USD $100 for your time!   We're looking for people to participate in a   remote 1-hr workshop...

1,569 views 26 14
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you