Confluence profiles - can you restrict viewing from some users?

Tim Milner January 17, 2012

Hi. Got a query about Confluence.

We want to set up some spaces in our Confluence instance for external staff that we work with. We will restrict the rest of the platform from them, so they will only be able to see the pages we want them to. However, one concern raised is that they will always be able to view all users' profiles. This will allow them to see private information such as e-mails, and job titles. Is there any way that we would be able to restrict this profile area from these external users, so that they can only see the space(s) we permit them to, but not any user profiles? Thanks, Tim

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
SarahA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2012

Hallo Tim

Adding to Joseph's answer: the email addresses need not be visible to Confluence users. The Confluence administrator can configure Confluence to mask the email addresses, or make them visible to administrators only. Here's the documentation:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/User+Email+Visibility

I hope this helps a little with the problem.

Cheers, Sarah

Tim Milner January 18, 2012

Thanks Sarah, that may well be an effective workaround solution.

Tim

0 votes
Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2012

Hi Tim,

Sorry to say that the "view user profiles" permission can currently only be turned on/off for Anonymous users.

There is an open feature request to implement modifying permissions for user profile viewing: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-1134

Joe.

Tim Milner January 18, 2012

Thanks for your answer, Joe. I'll certainly add my requst to that open feature request.

Tim

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events