Confluence performance issues

Den!77kev1019 January 26, 2022

Hello, I am a Confluence administrator from Ford.  We are having serious issues on Confluence and at moments things are not doing well.  Very slow and our DBs had to kill several SQL queries to clean up the performance issues.

Our DB team identifies the following issues:

1) Why Select statement and Delete running at the same time on the content table

2)  why too many sessions triggered at the same time, around 500 sessions were there today

3) what triggers all these sessions - Job or user interface?

Also, we have 8 CPUs running on the DB server and we used to have  MS SQL Max Degree of Parallelism set to 0 and then we changed to 1  but it didn't fix the issue.  I am still having performance issues. 

Please we have more than 5000 users worldwide and we can't go like this.  Please here is my email ddeoliv2@ford.com

It would be nice we can see a meeting with my team talk about all these issue.

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2022

I'm going to assume the headline question is the case - "Confluence has performance issues"

The reason I want to do that is that the body of your question has instantly moved way past just "it's slow" straight into blaming the way Confluence is using the database, when you don't actually know that that is the actual problem.

What makes you think it is the database?

I'm not saying it is not, but the three questions you're asking have skipped past all the diagnostics you should be doing, and are not going to help you with the details.  You don't really know that it's related to any of those things (not from what you've said here).  They are things to look at, certainly, but they could be a problem because something else is wrong, leading to these issues.  You might be asking about symptoms, not causes.

Confluence (and indeed any Atlassian or even Java application) performance is a complex field, and you're unlikely to get the Community to go over the hundreds of things it could be and hope there is a simple answer.  There's very little chance that there is a single smoking gun someone can identify without a very detailed rummage through your system.

I think you'll probably want to go to Atlassian or their Partners.  If I were you, I would 

1. Check the setup and basic configuration of your Confluence and database server - are you using a supported database with the right driver installed in Confluence, and are the database and Confluence configured as specified in the Atlassian docs?
  2. Have a skim through the application logs ( <confluence home>/logs - look at all the logs in there), if they're rammed with errors, you may get a pointer to the problem
  3. Raise a support request with Atlassian, or engage with a Partner (tell them what you've found in steps 1 and 2 up-front, it'll save time).  Note that Atlassian may reach out and get a partner involved anyway, they sometimes lean on them for some problems.
  4. If you do decide to go straight to a partner, https://partnerdirectory.atlassian.com is a good starting point.

If you start with an Atlassian call, start at https://support.atlassian.com/contact, or use the "raise support call" within the admin options in your Confluence.

Please note, I've tried to write all of that as an independent Community member who has had some experience in the field of performance on Atlassian applications.  But I want to be very clear that I also work for one of the partners that you might engage (and, at the moment, if you did end up with us, it would probably be my team - we're looking at 5 Jiras, a Confluence and a Bitbucket for various clients at the moment!)

1 vote
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2022

@Den!77kev1019 

Thanks for posting to the Community.  Since this is a production issue I would suggest submitting a support issue to Atlassian here https://support.atlassian.com/contact/

Performance issues in Confluence can be caused by a myriad of issues.  If you are now having issues I would ask what have you recently changed on your instance?  Have you upgraded? Updated an app?  Installed a new app?  Looking here first can help you quickly identify the issue.  

Also, have you taken a look at the Confluence logs?  What are you seeing there? Are there errors or other warnings you are seeing in a large number in the application logs?

Are you only seeing the issue during work hours when all the users are on or are you seeing it in the evenings when a limited number of users is on?  

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2022

Hi @Den!77kev1019

just as an additional information for posterity and because this topic still comes up with Confluence administrators I'd like to add a more general link to performance tuning guidelines for Confluence:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/performance-tuning-130289.html

Regards,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events