Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence only uses one processor- how can I change this?

Nathaniel Middleton January 23, 2013

Hello,

I have had this issue for a while now... confluence only uses one of the cores assigned to the server that it runs on.

I am running it on a Supermicro with 1 processor (2 cores) @ 2.099GHz assigned to it (out of 32 total). (ESXi 5.0.0)
It also has 3GB of ram assigned- but the ram usage isn't being a problem.

We have been having issues with it locking up... but only 50% processor usage (1 core/2)

Any ideas as to what would cause this?

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2013

Do you know this to be a fact? Have you run eg process explorer from sysinternals, and checked the processor affinity for the java process? (Possibly vanilla taskmgr can do this too, haven't used it for a while).

I think it's much more likely that one particular thread is causing you a problem, ie eating all the resources from one processor - the other threads aren't causing any significant load so it looks like the other processor is idle. To work out what's going on you need to do some profiling, or get a few thread dumps and try to puzzle it out. But basically I think that's your real issue.

Nathaniel Middleton January 23, 2013

This is on a linux box- Java is eating up 50% and the rest is looking fairly normal. It does skip between the processors however- ex: 23% of one... 37% of the other.

Another note: it does this when we upload photos- total size = ~8MB.

And we are using version 4.2.11- forgot to mention that earlier.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2013

oh ok my bad... not sure why I assumed windows, I normally assume the reverse.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 23, 2013

But I still don't think what you've said indicates that confluence is running on one processor only... sounds you like you have a problem but not that it's because of processor affinity.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events